Fascinating Factorials: Exploring the Mystery of the Last x! in (x + y)!

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of factorial and how it applies to the equation (x + y)! = (x + y)(x + y - 1)(x + y - 2)...(x + 1)x!. The last term x! is added to represent the factorial of x, and the conversation delves into the reasoning behind this multiplication. The understanding of the concept is clarified through a concrete example.
M. next
Why is it that (x + y)!=(x + y)(x + y - 1)(x + y - 2)...(x + 1)x!
Where did the last "x!" come from?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$(x+y)! = (x+y)(x+y-1)(x+y-2)\ldots(x+1)(x)(x-1)\ldots(2)(1)$$
Now just rewrite the rightmost factors ##(x)(x-1)\ldots(2)(1)## as ##x!##.

Thank you for your quick reply. I got the form you required, but still I have the concept missing. If you don't mind explaining why did we multiply by (x+1)(x)(x−1)…(2)(1)? It seems like we get to a place where y disappears by subtraction but then again why did we add the term (x+1) and so on?

M. next said:
Thank you for your quick reply. I got the form you required, but still I have the concept missing. If you don't mind explaining why did we multiply by (x+1)(x)(x−1)…(2)(1)? It seems like we get to a place where y disappears by subtraction but then again why did we add the term (x+1) and so on?
The definition of the factorial of any number ##n## is ##(n)(n-1)\ldots(2)(1)##, i.e., you must keep subtracting until you get all the way down to ##1##. Therefore, when calculating ##(x+y)!##, you don't stop when you get to ##x##; you must continue all the way to ##1##.

Try it with a concrete example if it's still unclear. For example, if ##x = 3## and ##y = 4##, then ##x+y = 7##, and ##(x+y)! = 7! = (7)(6)(5)(4)(3)(2)(1) = (7)(6)(5)(4)3!##.

Thank you a lot!

Related to Fascinating Factorials: Exploring the Mystery of the Last x! in (x + y)!

What is the concept behind factorial?

The concept behind factorial is a mathematical operation that calculates the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number. It is denoted by the symbol "!" and is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

How is factorial calculated?

To calculate the factorial of a number, you multiply all the numbers from 1 up to that number. For example, the factorial of 5 would be calculated as 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120. This can also be expressed as 5! = 5 x 4!.

What is the significance of factorial in mathematics?

Factorial is commonly used in mathematics to calculate the number of ways in which a certain number of objects can be arranged. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate combinations and permutations.

What are some real-life applications of factorial?

Factorial has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in algorithms, data compression techniques, and modeling complex systems.

Can factorial be applied to non-integer numbers?

No, factorial is only defined for positive integers. However, there is a concept called the gamma function which extends the concept of factorial to non-integer and complex numbers.