Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction

In summary, a 0.060 m by 0.060 m rectangular coil of wire with 100 turns has an average emf of magnitude 1.5 V induced in it in a time of 0.070 s. Using Faraday's law, the change in magnetic field can be calculated by dividing the induced emf by the area and time. Assuming a uniform increase in field, the change in B can be determined.
spoonthrower
A magnetic field is perpendicular to a 0.060 m 0.060 m rectangular coil of wire that has 100 turns. In a time of 0.070 s, an average emf of magnitude 1.5 V is induced in the coil. What is the magnitude of the change in the magnetic field?

My professor has not covered this in lecture yet, but this HW is due tomorrow. Reading the section for myself and looking at the equations, this is what i have come up with so far. Please help me out, thanks.

average induced emf=magnetic flux/time

average induced emf=B(Area)/time

average induced emf=-N(magnetic flux)/Time

Where do i start?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track in applying Faraday's law, which relates the induced EMF to the rate of change of the magnetic flux. The flux through each loop equals B*Area; since the area is constant, the change in flux equals Area*(change in B).

Assume that the field increases uniformly and you can calculate the change in B; everything else is given.

got it. thanks.

Related to Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction

What is Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction?

Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a closed circuit. This means that a moving magnet or a changing current in a nearby circuit can create an electric current in a conductor.

Who was Michael Faraday?

Michael Faraday was a British scientist who discovered the principle of electromagnetic induction in the 1830s. He is considered one of the most influential scientists in the field of electromagnetism and is also known for his work in chemistry and physics.

How does Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction work?

Faraday's Law states that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the conductor. The magnitude of the current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field and the number of turns in the conductor.

What is the practical application of Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction?

Faraday's Law is the basis for many important technologies, including electric generators, transformers, and motors. It also explains how electricity is generated in power plants and how electric vehicles are powered.

What is the connection between Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction. It states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor is always such that it opposes the change that caused it. In other words, Lenz's Law ensures that energy is conserved in the process of electromagnetic induction.