Faraday's Law, Magnetic Flux, and the dot product

In summary, the conversation discussed the concepts of Faraday's Law and magnetic flux in the context of studying Electromagnetic Induction. The confusion arose when trying to solve for magnetic flux in a wire loop at right angles to a magnetic field. The book's explanation clarified that the dot product in this case is simply B*dA because the area element, dA, is a vector with a direction parallel to the magnetic field.
apples

Homework Statement

We are studying Electromagnetic Induction right now. I understand the concepts, Faraday's Law and magnetic flux. But I don't understand what my book is doing.

Homework Equations

Magnetic Flux
[tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\int[/tex]BdA

Faraday's Law
Emf = - d[tex]\phi[/tex]/dt
Emf=Electromotive force
[tex]\phi[/tex]=Magnetic Flux

And of course the dot product.
xy= xy cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I shouldn't have written Farday's law here, a bit irrelevant.

Anyway, what the book is doing is confusing me (It is doing this through out the chapter).
When solving for magnetic flux, it says that a wire loop is at right angles to a magnetic field B.
So, according to me, the dot product of the magnetic field and the area of the loop is supposed to be 0, because they are at right angles, and cos 90= 0.

But in the solutions, here is what the book says (Exact words):
"With the field at right angles to the loop, BdA = B dA"

In another example it says, "Here the field is uniform and at right angles to the loop, so the flux is just the product of the field with the loop area."

Why? If it's at right angles then it should be 0. cos 90 = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
apples said:
But in the solutions, here is what the book says (Exact words):
"With the field at right angles to the loop, BdA = B dA"
Notice that the area element, dA, is a vector. The area element is a special case of a surface element. Now, the orientation of a surface is usually defined by it's normal vector. So in the case of the wire loop, the surface is perpendicular to the magnetic field vector, but the normal vector of the area element is parallel to the magnetic field. It is this normal vector that defines the direction of dA.

Therefore in this case, dA is parallel to B and hence the dot product is simply B*dA. Do you follow?

The dA is the vector area you're integrating over. The area has a direction. In this case, it is along the direction of the magnetic field so B dotted with dA is simply BdA.

The vector dA = dAn where n is a unit vector normal to the plane of the little element of area dA, this means that if you place your loop in x-y plane, dA will point in the direction of z-axis and so if B is at right angles to the loop which is in x-y plane it also points in the direction of z-axis and is actually parallel to dA making the dot product BdA. (see the picture attached)

----

Attachments

• loop.GIF
    loop.GIF
    1.4 KB · Views: 512
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh cool, I didn't know that the direction of a surface is defined by its normal vector.
Thanks guys. Now it makes sense.

Related to Faraday's Law, Magnetic Flux, and the dot product

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's Law of Induction, states that a changing magnetic flux through a loop of wire will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in the wire.

2. What is Magnetic Flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of tesla-meter squared (Tm²).

3. How is Faraday's Law related to Magnetic Flux?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic flux will induce an EMF, or voltage, in a wire. This means that the greater the change in magnetic flux, the greater the induced EMF.

4. What is the dot product in relation to Faraday's Law and Magnetic Flux?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation used to calculate the work done by a force acting on an object. In the context of Faraday's Law and Magnetic Flux, the dot product is used to calculate the magnetic flux through a given area.

5. How is Faraday's Law and Magnetic Flux used in real-world applications?

Faraday's Law and Magnetic Flux have numerous real-world applications, such as in the generation of electricity in power plants, the operation of electric motors, and the creation of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also essential principles in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the functioning of devices such as transformers and generators.