Faradays law/Lens law: how does the induced emf 'act'

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of induced emf in a current carrying conductor, specifically in the case of a motor. It is explained that the induced emf acts as a resistance to the current and this is analogous to the friction in a paddle wheel. However, it is also noted that in reality, there is a limit to the conductance of a circuit, so the back emf is never equal to the supply voltage and some current will always flow. This may cause confusion, but it is due to the limitations of a real circuit.
thisischris
Hello everyone.

I'm trying to understand how an 'induced' emf behaves on a current carrying conductor.

Basically the example that's giving me problems is in the case of a motor, if a current starts to pass through a coil it will get an induced 'emf' to oppose the motion. And hence it seems the current drops as the motor reaches a stable speed.

My question lies in 'how' it acts, I'm imaging a current in one direction, being passed another current of opposite direction, but why doesn't it 'get stronger/reaches a emf to completely oppose the motion'?

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
hi thisischris! :smile:
thisischris said:
My question lies in 'how' it acts, I'm imaging a current in one direction, being passed another current of opposite direction, but why doesn't it 'get stronger/reaches a emf to completely oppose the motion'?

does this help? (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_analogy) …
A heavy paddle wheel placed in the current. The mass of the wheel and the size of the blades restrict the water's ability to rapidly change its rate of flow (current) through the wheel due to the effects of inertia, but, given time, a constant flowing stream will pass mostly unimpeded through the wheel, as it turns at the same speed as the water flow. The mass and surface area of the wheel and its blades are analogous to inductance, and friction between its axle and the axle bearings corresponds to the resistance that accompanies any non-superconducting inductor.​

tiny-tim said:
hi thisischris! :smile:

does this help? (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_analogy) …
A heavy paddle wheel placed in the current. The mass of the wheel and the size of the blades restrict the water's ability to rapidly change its rate of flow (current) through the wheel due to the effects of inertia, but, given time, a constant flowing stream will pass mostly unimpeded through the wheel, as it turns at the same speed as the water flow. The mass and surface area of the wheel and its blades are analogous to inductance, and friction between its axle and the axle bearings corresponds to the resistance that accompanies any non-superconducting inductor.​

So 'friction' acts as resistance which corresponds to a 'drop' in emf? Should I view this 'opposed' emf in the motor as a resistance to the larger current?

I still don't quite understand why the induced emf does not keep building to completely oppose the motion however?

Thank you.

Friction is another issue. The (inductive) reaction against a change in current doesn't involve any loss of energy.
It is impossible to discuss, meaningfully, the totally 'ideal' situation, in which a voltage source of no resistance is connected to an inductor of no resistance because no current could pass. This is because the rate of current change would be such as to produce a back emf equal to the supply voltage.
In reality, there is a limit to the conductance of a circuit so the current is limited by the resistance and the 'back' emf is never quite equal to the supply voltage so some current will always flow, eventually reaching a value of V/R, where R is the circuit resistance.
So your confusion is quite justified, I think. :smile:

I can provide some insight on how the induced emf acts in Faraday's law and Lens law. First, it's important to understand that an induced emf is created when there is a change in magnetic flux through a conductor. This change in magnetic flux can be caused by a changing magnetic field or a moving conductor.

In the case of a motor, when the current starts to pass through a coil, it creates a magnetic field. This changing magnetic field then induces an emf in the coil, which creates a current that opposes the motion of the motor. This is known as Lenz's law, which states that the direction of the induced current will always be such that it opposes the change that caused it.

So, as the motor reaches a stable speed, the induced emf will also reach a stable value, balancing out the applied current. This is why the current drops as the motor reaches a stable speed.

Now, to address your question on why the induced emf doesn't completely oppose the motion, it's because of the concept of energy conservation. The induced emf is created by the changing magnetic field, which is itself created by the motion of the motor. Therefore, the induced emf is actually working against the motion of the motor, using up some of its energy. If the induced emf were to completely oppose the motion, it would require an infinite amount of energy, which is not physically possible.

I hope this helps to clarify how the induced emf acts in Faraday's law and Lens law. Keep in mind that these laws are fundamental principles in electromagnetism and are essential for understanding the behavior of motors and other electrical devices.

Related to Faradays law/Lens law: how does the induced emf 'act'

What is Faraday's law and how does it relate to electricity and magnetism?

Faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, which in turn will cause an induced emf (electromotive force) in a closed loop. This is one of the fundamental principles of electromagnetism, connecting the two previously separate fields of electricity and magnetism.

What is the mathematical equation for Faraday's law?

The mathematical equation for Faraday's law is:

emf = -N * (ΔΦ/Δt)

where emf is the induced electromotive force, N is the number of turns in the coil, and ΔΦ/Δt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil.

What is the significance of the negative sign in Faraday's law?

The negative sign in Faraday's law indicates the direction of the induced emf. It follows the law of Lenz, which states that the induced emf will always be in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This is known as Lenz's law.

What is the difference between Faraday's law and Lenz's law?

Faraday's law describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field, while Lenz's law describes the direction of the induced emf. In other words, Faraday's law explains how the induced emf is created, while Lenz's law explains the direction in which it acts.

How does the induced emf 'act' in a closed loop?

The induced emf will cause a current to flow in a closed loop, as electrons move in response to the electric field created by the changing magnetic field. This current will continue as long as the magnetic field is changing, and will cease when the magnetic field becomes constant.