Faraday's Law, Induction Help.

In summary, a coil of 15 turns and radius 10cm is placed around a long solenoid with a radius of 2cm and 1x10^3 turns/m. The current in the solenoid varies as I = (5A)sin(120t). The induced emf in the 15-turn coil can be calculated using the equation emf = -Nd[flux]/dt, where the flux is given by \Phi = \oint[B*dA] and the magnetic field inside the solenoid is B = \munI. The area used for the flux calculation is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid. The distance between the coil and the solenoid does not affect the calculation
Ithryndil
1. Homework Statement

A coil of 15 turns and radius 10cm surrounds a long solenoid of radius 2cm and 1x10^3 turns/m. The current in the solenoid changes as I = (5A)sin(120t). Find the induced emf in the 15-turn coil as a function of time.2. Homework Equations

emf = -Nd[flux]/dt

[tex]\Phi = \oint[B*dA][/tex]3. The Attempt at a Solution

Edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong. However, I am still puzzled on one aspect of this problem

When I figured out what I did wrong I came up with:

[tex]B = \munI[/tex]
[tex]Emf = \frac{d}{dt}(NBAcos\theta) = \frac{d}{dt}(NBA)[/tex] cos(theta) = 1 in this case
[tex]Therefore:
Emf = NA\mun(I)[/tex] ...and we have I so it's a simple derivative from there

What I don't get is why the .1m radius doesn't really come into play. Unless I missed something or am not thinking here at all, it's not necessary for this problem, other than to tell us the coils are outside the solenoid.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

What area is the one you call A? The area of the solenoid i suppose.
When you calculate the flux through the coil you should use (in general) the area of the coil.
But... for a "long solenoid", the field on the outside of the solenoid is very weak and is usually neglected in elementary problems.
The field of the solenoid B=I*N/L (no area) is inside the solenoid - does not depend upon the area of the solenoid.

The A I am using is the area of the solenoid...at least the cross sectional area.

Also, let me correct a mistake in that last equation:

[tex]
Therefore:
Emf = NA(\mu)n\frac{d}{dt}(I)
[/tex]

Then you should see why.
When you calculate the flux through something, you should use the area of the "something".
Here you use the area (cross-section) of the solenoid instead because the field outside the solenoid is neglected (and you don't have a formula for the field outside anyway, in elementary textbooks)

Ok, so it doesn't matter that the coil of 15 turns is .08 cm away from the solenoid, we only need the solenoid radius for the flux...hmm, I must have missed that in class.

Related to Faraday's Law, Induction Help.

1. What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric current. It states that when a conductor (such as a wire) is exposed to a changing magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the conductor.

2. How is Faraday's Law used in everyday life?

Faraday's Law is used in various everyday devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies like wireless charging and metal detectors.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the properties of the material used in the conductor.

4. What is the difference between Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric current, while Lenz's Law states that the direction of the induced current creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the original magnetic field.

5. How is Faraday's Law related to electromagnetic waves?

Faraday's Law is one of the principles that explains the generation and propagation of electromagnetic waves. When a changing electric field and a changing magnetic field interact, they create an electromagnetic wave that can travel through space.