Faraday's Law in the frequency domain

In summary, Faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field induces an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor, which can also be generated by an oscillating area. The equation for this is V = -NAωB0 cos(ωt), where N is the number of turns in the loop, B is the magnetic field, A is the area, and f is the frequency. The variable t represents time, and the output voltage is an oscillating voltage just like the magnetic field.
dmorris619
I'm trying to figure out what faraday's law is in terms of frequency rather than time.

I think the equation is V = -N*B*A*2f. Where N is the number of turns in the loop, B is the magnetic field, A is the area and f is the frequency. However I am not totally convinced that my derivation is correct.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can generate a Faraday induction voltage by either an oscillating magnetic field

B(t) = B0 sin(ωt)

or an oscillating area

A(t) =A0 sin(ωt)

An example of the latter is a conductor loop rotating in a dc magnetic field.

So V(t) = -NAωB0 cos(ωt) or -NBωA0 cos(ωt)

Here, ω = 2πf

Bob S

I am trying to determine the oscilating magnetic field. In that equation what is t? Is that the period over which i am sampling the antenna?

dmorris619 said:
I am trying to determine the oscilating magnetic field. In that equation what is t? Is that the period over which i am sampling the antenna?

B(t) = B0 sin(ωt)

So V(t) = -NAωB0 cos(ωt)

Where ω = 2πf and t is time. The output voltage is an oscillating voltage, just like the magnetic field.

Bob S

That makes so much sense! Thanks

Related to Faraday's Law in the frequency domain

What is Faraday's Law in the frequency domain?

Faraday's Law in the frequency domain is a mathematical relationship that describes the induction of an electromotive force in a conductor when the magnetic field surrounding it changes over time.

How is Faraday's Law expressed in the frequency domain?

In the frequency domain, Faraday's Law is expressed as an equation that relates the induced electromotive force (EMF) to the rate of change of magnetic flux over time. This equation is written as E = -N*dΦ/dt, where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the conductor, and Φ is the magnetic flux.

What is the significance of Faraday's Law in the frequency domain?

Faraday's Law in the frequency domain is essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with conductors. It forms the basis for many practical applications, such as generators, motors, and transformers.

How is Faraday's Law related to Maxwell's equations?

Faraday's Law is one of the four Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental laws that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It specifically relates to the time-varying magnetic field and the resulting electric field.

How is Faraday's Law used in practical applications?

Faraday's Law is used in various practical applications, such as power generation, induction heating, and wireless communication. It also plays a crucial role in the design and operation of electronic circuits and devices.