Faraday's Law, EMF, Finding Current in Loop

In summary: I'll have to bring it up with my TA.Thanks again for your help!In summary, a 26.4 cm diameter coil with 23 turns of circular copper wire 1.90 mm in diameter and a uniform magnetic field changing at a rate of 8.00E-3 T/s has a current of 0.0870 A. The rate of thermal energy produced is 9.40E-4 m^2 kg/s^3. However, there may be an issue with the submission of the answer and further clarification may be needed.
ncm2

Homework Statement

A 26.4 cm diameter coil consists of 23 turns of circular copper wire 1.90 mm in diameter. A uniform magnetic field, perpendicular to the plane of the coil, changes at a rate of 8.00E-3 T/s. Determine the current in the loop.

Part Two: Determine the rate at which thermal energy is produced.

Homework Equations

EMF=(deltaB*A)/delta T
EMF Total= -N*EMF
I=EMF Total/R
R=(Cu Resistivity*L)/A
L= N*2(Pie)R
A = TR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

EMF= 8E-3*(Pie*.132^2) = 4.379E-4
EMF Total = -23*4.379E-4 = -0.010072
I = -.010072 / ( 1.72E-8 * (23*2*Pie*.123) / (Pie*.95E-3^2) ) = -.093406 A

Part 2:
E THermal=I^2*R = -.093406^2 * .10783 = 9.40E-4 m^2 kg/s^3

Both answers are wrong and I have no idea where I went wrong, and neither do my TAs.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ncm2,

ncm2 said:

Homework Statement

A 26.4 cm diameter coil consists of 23 turns of circular copper wire 1.90 mm in diameter. A uniform magnetic field, perpendicular to the plane of the coil, changes at a rate of 8.00E-3 T/s. Determine the current in the loop.

Part Two: Determine the rate at which thermal energy is produced.

Homework Equations

EMF=(deltaB*A)/delta T
EMF Total= -N*EMF
I=EMF Total/R
R=(Cu Resistivity*L)/A
L= N*2(Pie)R
A = TR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

EMF= 8E-3*(Pie*.132^2) = 4.379E-4
EMF Total = -23*4.379E-4 = -0.010072
I = -.010072 / ( 1.72E-8 * (23*2*Pie*.123) / (Pie*.95E-3^2) ) = -.093406 A

The number in bold is incorrect; it should be 0.132m (like you have two lines before).

(If correcting that still does not work, you might check to see if they really just want the magnitude of the current; if so the minus sign might be enough to make it count as being wrong.)

Sorry that was a mistake in me writing it on here. I did calculate it with the proper .132m value, and tried positive and negative and it is still wrong, so something in my equation is wrong?

ncm2 said:
Sorry that was a mistake in me writing it on here. I did calculate it with the proper .132m value, and tried positive and negative and it is still wrong, so something in my equation is wrong?

So what answer did you get for the current? The answer in your post (I=0.093406 A) comes from using the 0.123m value; if you use the 0.132m value you get something different.

For the .132m value, I got 0.0870 A. This is incorrect as is -.0870 A.

I still don't know what I did wrong in my formula

Last edited:
ncm2 said:
For the .132m value, I got 0.0870 A. This is incorrect as is -.0870 A.

I still don't know what I did wrong in my formula

That looks like the correct answer to me.

Here are two things, though.

First, just to check: assuming this in an online homework, are you sure they are asking for the current in amps and not milliamps?

Second, I would suggest trying [itex]\rho=1.68\times 10^{-8}[/itex] for the resistivity of copper.

I tried the change in units and the different resistivity of copper and they are both wrong.
It is an online assignment, but I also have to hand it in for my work to be marked.

Any other ideas?

Also, is my thermal energy equation correct?
E THermal=I^2*R

Thanks for all your help.

ncm2 said:
I tried the change in units and the different resistivity of copper and they are both wrong.
It is an online assignment, but I also have to hand it in for my work to be marked.

Any other ideas?

Also, is my thermal energy equation correct?
E THermal=I^2*R

Thanks for all your help.

Your work looks all correct to me.

There is a webpage with this problem (a publisher's page for a book by Giancoli); look here at problem #4:

http://cwx.prenhall.com/giancoli/chapter21/medialib/frameset.html

Try out your formula for that problem (it uses the smaller resistivity) and you'll see it says it is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help. I used that website and my equation worked there, so maybe it is a problem with submitting the answer, I'm not sure.

Related to Faraday's Law, EMF, Finding Current in Loop

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.

2. What is EMF?

EMF, or electromotive force, is a measure of the energy that causes electric current to flow in a circuit. It is commonly referred to as voltage.

3. How is current in a loop found using Faraday's Law?

To find the current in a loop using Faraday's Law, you can use the equation I = EMF/R, where I is the current, EMF is the electromotive force, and R is the resistance in the circuit.

4. What factors affect the induced EMF in a loop?

The induced EMF in a loop is affected by the rate of change of magnetic flux, the number of turns in the loop, and the strength of the magnetic field.

5. How is Faraday's Law used in real-world applications?

Faraday's Law is used in a variety of real-world applications, including generators, transformers, and motors. It is also the basis for the technology used in power plants to generate electricity.