Fan moment of nertia / force question

In summary, to determine the maximum amount of mass that can be rotated at a given speed using a fan blades and shaft, you will need to calculate the torque produced by the fan blades and the moment of inertia of the rotating mass. These calculations can then be used to determine the maximum mass and speed that can be achieved.
sulbien
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here and I just had a question seeing if anyone could help me with it. I'm performing an experiment using a fan blades which are attached to a shaft that will be rotating a certain amount of weight which is also attached to the shaft but at a different location along it. The question I have is how would I go about mathematically figuring out what is the maximum amount of mass I can rotate and what speed it can rotate at? I'm assuming about a 7mph wind speed pushing on the fan with the fan size being about 2 inches. The shaft size can be variable. Any extra information that is needed I will provide. Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the forum for assistance with your experiment. I would recommend using the principles of torque and rotational motion to determine the maximum amount of mass that can be rotated at a given speed.

First, you will need to calculate the torque produced by the fan blades. This can be done by multiplying the force exerted by the fan blades (in this case, the wind speed of 7mph) by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied (the radius of the fan blades).

Next, you will need to calculate the moment of inertia of the rotating mass. This is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion and is dependent on the mass and distribution of the mass along the shaft. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it will be to rotate the mass.

Once you have determined the torque and moment of inertia, you can use the equation T=I*alpha, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and alpha is the angular acceleration, to calculate the maximum amount of mass that can be rotated at a given speed.

Keep in mind that there may be other factors at play, such as air resistance and the strength of the materials used for the fan blades and shaft. These may also need to be taken into consideration in your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment! If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Fan moment of nertia / force question

1. What is the difference between moment of inertia and force?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, while force is a measure of the push or pull on an object. Moment of inertia depends on an object's mass and distribution of mass, while force depends on the object's mass and acceleration.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This is represented by the equation I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass and the distribution of that mass. Objects with a greater mass or with their mass spread farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia.

4. How does moment of inertia impact an object's rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is directly proportional to an object's rotational motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia require more force to rotate and will have a slower rotational speed compared to objects with a lower moment of inertia.

5. Can moment of inertia be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of an object can be changed by changing its mass or the distribution of its mass. For example, a figure skater can change their moment of inertia by bringing their arms closer to their body, reducing their moment of inertia and allowing them to spin faster.