False Positive Rate of 1:1.5M Sampling Process

In summary, the conversation discusses a sampling process for a large population with objects of type A or type B, and an analysis that can incorrectly classify type A as a false positive 1 in 1.5 million times. Given a sample of 1 million and 1 'hit' classified as type A, the probability of it being a false positive is 1 in 1.5 million. More information is needed to determine the probability of other observations being false positives.
karamand
I have a sampling process of a very large population in which all items are of type A or type B. I have an analysis of the sampled objects which classifies type A and gives the wrong identification (a false positive) 1 in 1.5 million times.
I take a sample of 1 million and find 1 'hit' i.e classified as type A. What is the probability that it is a false positive?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
philpq said:
I have a sampling process of a very large population in which all items are of type A or type B. I have an analysis of the sampled objects which classifies type A and gives the wrong identification (a false positive) 1 in 1.5 million times.
I take a sample of 1 million and find 1 'hit' i.e classified as type A. What is the probability that it is a false positive?

Hi philpq! Welcome to MHB! :)

Without more information, any 'hit' of type A has a probability of $\frac{1}{1.5\cdot 10^6} \approx 6.7 \cdot 10^{-5}$ of being a false positive.
We will still know basically nothing about the other 999999 observations without more information.

I like Serena said:
Hi philpq! Welcome to MHB! :)

Without more information, any 'hit' of type A has a probability of $\frac{1}{1.5\cdot 10^6} \approx 6.7 \cdot 10^{-5}$ of being a false positive.
We will still know basically nothing about the other 999999 observations without more information.

Thanks for your help. I suppose the answer is obvious when I think about it. The sample size is irrelevant. The probability of anyone 'hit' being a false positive is 1 in 1.5 million as stated :)

Usually questions about false positives use Bayes' Theorem and for that you need a lot more information.

\(\displaystyle P(+|\text{ (actually negative)})=\frac{P(\text{(actually negative)}|+) \cdot P(+)}{P(\text{actually negative})}\)

In the above, $+$ means "reads positive". However, you already have this probability so the above isn't necessary to calculate. I'm just pointing out that these topics are very often related. Here is an example "false positive" question you can read on Wikipedia.

The probability of a false positive in this scenario would be 1 in 1.5 million, which is the same as 0.000000067%. This is a very low probability, indicating that the sampling process has a high accuracy in identifying type A objects. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the sampling process may vary depending on the size of the population and the proportion of type A and type B objects. It is also important to consider other factors that may affect the accuracy of the analysis, such as the methodology used and potential sources of error. Further studies and validation of the sampling process may be necessary to ensure the reliability of the results.

Related to False Positive Rate of 1:1.5M Sampling Process

1. What is a False Positive Rate of 1:1.5M Sampling Process?

A False Positive Rate of 1:1.5M Sampling Process refers to the likelihood of a sample from a population being incorrectly identified as positive for a certain characteristic or attribute. In this case, the rate is 1 in 1.5 million, meaning for every 1.5 million samples taken, one is expected to be falsely identified as positive.

2. How is the False Positive Rate of 1:1.5M Sampling Process calculated?

The False Positive Rate of 1:1.5M Sampling Process is calculated by dividing the number of false positives by the total number of samples taken and multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. For example, if 100 samples were taken and one was falsely identified as positive, the false positive rate would be 1% (1/100 x 100).

3. Why is the False Positive Rate important in a sampling process?

The False Positive Rate is important in a sampling process because it indicates the level of accuracy and reliability of the sampling method. A higher false positive rate means there is a greater likelihood of incorrect results, which can lead to incorrect conclusions and decisions.

4. What factors can affect the False Positive Rate of a sampling process?

Several factors can affect the False Positive Rate of a sampling process, including the sample size, the characteristics of the population being sampled, and the accuracy of the testing method used. Additionally, human error and bias can also contribute to a higher false positive rate.

5. How can the False Positive Rate be reduced in a sampling process?

The False Positive Rate can be reduced in a sampling process by increasing the sample size, using more accurate testing methods, and minimizing human error and bias. It is also important to carefully consider the characteristics of the population being sampled and ensure the sample is representative of the larger population.