Falling Ruler Problem | Solution from Video at 8:03 | Help Available

In summary: I don't understand what you're askingIn summary, Ahmed is trying to solve a problem from a video, but is confused about what makes the center petal force to the center of the mass. He says that the normal force has a component that points outward, so it's decreasing the center petal force, so it should be in the equation. He thinks that the ruler might not slide if he didn't put a timer on it, and that the force from the pivot point makes a radial acceleration.
Ahmedemad22
OP warned about not using the homework template
Can anyone help me on this problem from this video starting from 8:03 , I've been working on it for a week ,and I couldn't find a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello Ahmed, :welcome:

as per the guidelines : show us in your post what you have so far.

Net torque =mglsin(x)
Mv^2/l=mgcos(x)-n*sin(x)
N is normal force from the floor.
Are my equations right?

##\tau = {mgL\sin x\over 2}##

What does ##Mv^2/l=mg\cos x-n\sin x\ ## describe ? (M same as m ?)

And: where is the similarity with the igloo example ? :rolleyes:

Yes , the same
There are two problems in that video I 'm trying to solve the second one starting from minute 8:04

I know. But there is a link between the two problems: Walter says as much. Think of the trajectory that the center of mass of the rules describes.

Okay , but I wonder if the normal force is making centripetal force component. that is what confused me

You can answer that yourself: which way should a centripetal force point ? :rolleyes:

Note also that he needs his timer for some reason -- what reason :wink: ?

It should point to the center of the circle that com moves around , but the normal force here has a component that point outward , so it's decreasing the centrepetal force , so it should be in the equation .
I think he used his timer to apply force to the ruler

Yes, I suppose it should in an equation. But yours is describing what, exactly ?

Ahmedemad22 said:
I think he used his timer to apply force to the ruler
Correct. What would happen if he didn't
use it ?

Last edited:
Describing normal force from the floor.

Maybe, ruler wouldn't slide , correct?

Ahmedemad22 said:
Describing normal force from the floor.
##Mv^2/l=mg\cos x-n\sin x\ ##: in ##\ mv^2\over 2\ ## I see some energy. In ##\ mgl\cos x\over 2\ ## also. But the other one ? Perhaps it's good to set up a list of known/unknown variables and a few more equations -- all of these important constituents of the template :wink: !
Ahmedemad22 said:
Do you have a ruler and a reasonably smooth surface nearby :rolleyes: ?

I can't understand what you mean, can you explain further?

Yes , I have made that experiment twice.

Only thing still confusing me is what makes the centrepetal force to the center of the mass .

Ahmedemad22 said:
can you explain further?
What is ##nl\sin x\over 2 ## ?

Ahmedemad22 said:
Yes , I have made that experiment twice.
and did you observe
Ahmedemad22 said:
as correct or as proven wrong ?
Ahmedemad22 said:
what makes the centripetal force to the center of the mass
gravity is one component :confused:

I didn't write nlsin(x)/2 in the equations.

Yes , i did

It wouldn't slide if he didn't put the timer. And it slided when i did it

So Mv^2/l=mgcos(x) ?

Ahmedemad22 said:
It wouldn't slide if he didn't put the timer.
How do you now ?
I asked what YOU observed
Ahmedemad22 said:
And it slided when i did it
'it' being 'blocked the foot of the ruler from sliding to the left' (while the ruler is falling to the right) ?

From what you post I can not determine what you observed. Please try again.

Ahmedemad22 said:
It wouldn't slide if he didn't put the timer. And it slided when i did it
No
(I suppose with v you mean the velocity of the center of mass of the ruler ?)

I pushed the ruler a bit and it started to fall then it's gone away from the block i put behind it , and slided until it lied at the surface.

Yes v is com velocity.

This problem is more trickier for me , I even tried to search about it but i didn't find anything helpful.All I'm seeking for are the equations and F.B.Ds

Ahmedemad22 said:
I pushed the ruler a bit and it started to fall then it's gone away from the block i put behind it , and slided until it lied at the surface
Yes. So you reproduced Walters result.
What do you observe when you do not put a block behind it ?

Ahmedemad22 said:
This problem is more trickier for me , I even tried to search about it but i didn't find anything helpful
Yes, Walter said it was more complicated. And no, there does not seem to be a worked out solution within google range. We have to think for ourselves :biggrin:

Last edited:
It slided also but only when it lied at the ground.

But , can a force which is applied from the pivot point make a radial acceleration?(i.e the normal force from the surface that touches the pivot point , this question might be a littel far from the main one but it'll help me through this problem).

Ahmedemad22 said:
It slided also but only when it lied at the ground
In my case the bottom end of the ruler (that is falling to the right) slides to the left, already when theta is about 30 degrees.

Ahmedemad22 said:
can a force which is applied from the pivot point make a radial acceleration?
It certainly can. That's why the block is needed -- for the horizontal component :smile:

Ahmedemad22 said:
i.e the normal force from the surface that touches the pivot point
That's the vertical component and the normal force works outwards, but: yes

I may be confusing you somewhat. There is also unfinished business:
Ahmedemad22 said:
So Mv2/l=mg cos(x) ?
No. The ruler is not just translating but also rotating. So more complicated than the girl on the igloo: there is a rotational energy term too.

Remember Walter claiming the outcome would be exactly the same (the same cosine of the angle) ?

The need for the block becomes clearer now: it exerts a sideways force. Not at the center of mass but at the pivot point. If we slide that up to the center of mass we get a horizontal component (to increase v) but we have to add a torque (opposite to the torque from ##mg\sin\theta## ). Fortunately we don't calculate ##\theta## as a function of time. All we keep in mind is that the center of mass follows a circular trajectory -- until ...

So both normal force from ground and the other one from the block does centrepetal acceleration in addition to gravity?

And does normal force from the block does torque?I don't understand why we need opposite torque

So normal force from the block directed radially or in the x direction

Yes they do contribute, but with a minus sign: they both work in the wrong direction -- opposing gravity and rotational inertia.
Ahmedemad22 said:
And does normal force from the block does torque?I don't understand why we need opposite torque
upload_2018-5-29_18-53-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-29_18-53-47.png
    upload_2018-5-29_18-53-47.png
    3 KB · Views: 279
But torque from the normal force from the block should be zero as it acts at pivot point

Correct. If you take the bottom end as axis of rotation That's a good way to set up equations for ##\theta(t)##. But we were after the angle at which the centripetal force would go below what's needed for a circular trajectory of the c.o.m.

The angle is 48 as sir walter said , and I'm trying to reach it and get that answer

and what is function of theta

Related to Falling Ruler Problem | Solution from Video at 8:03 | Help Available

What is the "Falling Ruler Problem"?

The "Falling Ruler Problem" is a physics problem that involves balancing a ruler on its end and predicting how long it will take for the ruler to fall over.

What is the solution to the "Falling Ruler Problem" shown in the video at 8:03?

The solution shown in the video at 8:03 involves using the principle of conservation of energy to calculate the time it will take for the ruler to fall over.

How can I get help with the "Falling Ruler Problem"?

There are multiple ways to get help with the "Falling Ruler Problem", including consulting with a physics teacher or tutor, participating in online forums or discussion groups, or seeking out resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

What are some common mistakes when attempting to solve the "Falling Ruler Problem"?

Some common mistakes when attempting to solve the "Falling Ruler Problem" include not properly accounting for all forces acting on the ruler, not understanding the concept of torque, and not using the correct equations or units in calculations.

How can understanding the "Falling Ruler Problem" be beneficial for students?

Understanding the "Falling Ruler Problem" can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, gain a better understanding of physics concepts such as forces and energy, and apply these concepts to real-world situations.