Falling object with random pictures taken

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of dropping a rock off a cliff and taking random photographs to measure its distance fallen. The equations x(t) and v(t) are provided to calculate the rock's displacement and velocity at any given time. The total flight time is also given as T = Sqrt[2h/g]. A question is raised about the probability of the camera flashing in a specific interval, to which there is confusion regarding its accuracy.
gibxam
Suppose I drop a rock off a cliff at height h. As it falls, I snap a million photographs at random intervals. On each picture I measure the distance the rock has fallen. Ignoring air resistance:

x(t) = 1/2 g t^2
v(t) = g t

total flight time = T = Sqrt[ 2 h/g]

My confusion is that in this statement: "The probablity that the camera flashes in the interval dt is dt/T" I don't see how or why this statement is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be true if you snapped exactly ONE pic at a random time. Are you sure you understood the problem right?

Related to Falling object with random pictures taken

1. How does the random picture method work in studying falling objects?

The random picture method involves taking pictures at regular intervals while an object is falling. These pictures capture the object at different points during its fall, allowing for the calculation of its velocity and acceleration.

2. What is the purpose of using random pictures instead of continuous video in studying falling objects?

The random picture method reduces the amount of data that needs to be analyzed compared to continuous video. This makes it easier to track the motion of the falling object and calculate its velocity and acceleration accurately.

3. Can the random picture method be used for all types of falling objects?

Yes, the random picture method can be used for all types of falling objects as long as the camera is set up properly and the pictures are taken at regular intervals. This method is commonly used in physics experiments to study free fall and other types of falling objects.

4. How does the distance between the camera and falling object affect the accuracy of the results?

The distance between the camera and falling object can affect the accuracy of the results. If the camera is too far away, the object will appear smaller in the pictures, making it difficult to track its motion accurately. It is important to set up the camera at an appropriate distance to capture clear and accurate pictures of the falling object.

5. Are there any limitations to using the random picture method in studying falling objects?

One limitation of the random picture method is that it relies on the camera being set up at a fixed location. This means that any external factors, such as wind or air resistance, may affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, this method may not work well for very fast-moving objects, as the pictures may not capture enough frames to accurately track their motion.