Falling egg question (with energy equations)

In summary, the potential energy of the egg of mass 5.8*10^-2 dropped from a height of 1.5m onto a floor is lost. The kinetic energy just before impact is equal to the loss of potential energy. To calculate the speed and momentum just before impact, you can use the equations for kinetic energy and free fall acceleration, as the initial velocity is zero and the acceleration is 9.8m/s^2.
jackamo321
An egg of mass 5.8*10^-2 is dropped from a height of 1.5m onto a floor. Assuming air resistance is negligable, calculate for the egg:

a) loss of potential energy.
b) the kinetic enrgy just before impact.
c) the speed just before impact
d) the momentum just before impact.

So far i have done the potential energy one, and now I am stuck on the others. As the equation for KE is KE=1/2mV^2 but we do not know the velocity. And i cannot find out the velocity because we don't have the time either. So i was just wondering how i would work out b-d as all of their equations require velocity.

Thanks

Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
jackamo321 said:
An egg of mass 5.8*10^-2 is dropped from a height of 1.5m onto a floor. Assuming air resistance is negligable, calculate for the egg:

a) loss of potential energy.
b) the kinetic enrgy just before impact.
c) the speed just before impact
d) the momentum just before impact.

So far i have done the potential energy one, and now I am stuck on the others. As the equation for KE is KE=1/2mV^2 but we do not know the velocity. And i cannot find out the velocity because we don't have the time either. So i was just wondering how i would work out b-d as all of their equations require velocity.

Thanks

Jack

I hope you are familiar with the concept of energy conservation. What happens to all that potential energy lost when it's dropped?

oh ok, does that mean that the kinetic energy will be the same as the loss of potential energy then? But still, how do i work out the speed and momentum?

Right, you now have KE before impact, and that KE = 1/2mv^2...

Thanks alot! think I've done it now!

Conservation of Energy is easy. But to clarify, you can still calculate the velocity without it.
The egg has been dropped => initial velocity is zero!
All freely falling bodies accelerate at g which is 9.8m/s2
The body traveled 1.5m before hitting the ground.
You will need two equations and work a little more.

Related to Falling egg question (with energy equations)

1. How does the height of the drop affect the energy of the falling egg?

The height of the drop directly affects the potential energy of the egg. The higher the drop, the greater the potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as the egg falls.

2. What is the relationship between the weight of the egg and the impact force upon falling?

The weight of the egg determines its mass, which in turn affects the acceleration due to gravity and the impact force upon hitting the ground. A heavier egg will have a greater impact force compared to a lighter egg.

3. How do air resistance and friction affect the energy calculations for a falling egg?

Air resistance and friction both act against the motion of the falling egg and reduce its kinetic energy. However, these forces are typically negligible in energy calculations for a falling egg due to its small size and short distance of fall.

4. Can the energy equations be used to predict the exact height at which an egg will break upon impact?

No, the energy equations can only provide an estimate of the height at which an egg will break upon impact. The actual height may vary due to factors such as the surface the egg falls on and the orientation of the egg upon impact.

5. How can the energy equations be applied to real-life scenarios, such as dropping an egg from a building?

The energy equations can be used to determine the minimum safe height to drop an egg from, by calculating the minimum potential energy needed to break the egg's shell. This information can be used to design protective packaging for fragile objects or to safely conduct experiments involving falling objects.