Falling body where acceleration is not constant

In summary, the conversation discusses how to account for changing acceleration when a body is dropped from a high altitude. The suggested approach is to use the conservation of energy and solve a differential equation. A substitution is then made to simplify the equation and a closed form solution is obtained. The conversation also touches on the application of this solution to real-life situations, such as an asteroid causing the moon to stop orbiting around the earth. The relationship between distance and time is also discussed, with a suggestion to use a spreadsheet for calculations.
barryj

Homework Statement

Most physics problems that involve a falling body assume constant acceleration. How does one account for the changing acceleration if a body is dropped from a very high altitude?

Homework Equations

With constant acceleration, d = (1/2)at^2 or t = sqrt(2d/a)
but a is not really constant so How is this solved.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to do a piece wise solution. Start at a given altitude, assume a small time, say one second and calculate the distance traveled. Then calculate the acceleration based on the new distance between bodies and continue. Is there a closed form solutio?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this really homework?

Anyway, the direct approach involves solving a differential equation.

Alternatively, you could consider conservation of energy.

No, this is not homework but rather a problem I would like to know the answer to. I figured that a diff equation would be required but I don't see the trick in solving it. Ultimately, I would like to get the altitude as a function of time but since the acceleration is a function of altitude I am not sure how to set this up.

Suppose an object of mass ##m## starts at rest from a height ##h##. How long does it take to fall, using a varying gravitational force?

You can start with energy conservation using gravitational potential. Let ##r## be the distance from the centre of the Earth, ##M## the mass of the earth, and ##R## is the radius of the Earth.

##PE(r) = -\frac{GMm}{r}##

##KE(r) + PE(r) = PE(R+h)##

##\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 = \frac{GMm}{r} - \frac{GMm}{R+h}##

That gives you a differential equation in ##r##.

The trick to solving it is to let ##r = (R+h)cos^2(\theta)##

I understand how you used the conservation of energy to get the differential equation.
However, I seem to need another hint to see how to use the substitution r = (R+h)(cos A)^2

barryj said:
I understand how you used the conservation of energy to get the differential equation.
However, I seem to need another hint to see how to use the substitution r = (R+h)(cos A)^2

Just plug it in and simplify. For example:

##\frac{dr}{dt} = -2(R+h)cos(\theta)sin(\theta)\frac{d \theta}{dt}##

As you can see, things get worse before they get better!

Looks like you can integrate to get r = (R+h)(sin A)^2 but then using the change of variable for limits gets messy.

Maybe my numerical approach might be better to get a velocity at a specific height but I wold have rather get a closed form solution.

I see why this is not a Physics homework problem.

barryj said:
Looks like you can integrate to get r = (R+h)(sin A)^2 but then using the change of variable for limits gets messy.

Maybe my numerical approach might be better to get a velocity at a specific height but I wold have rather get a closed form solution.

I see why this is not a Physics homework problem.

It's not too bad. We have:

##\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 = \frac{GMm}{r} - \frac{GMm}{R+h}##

##(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 = 2GM\frac{R+h-r}{r(R+h)}##

Letting ##r = (R+h)cos^2(\theta)## gives

##4(R+h)^2cos^2(\theta)sin^2(\theta)(\frac{d \theta}{dt})^2 = \frac{2GM(R+h)(1 - cos^2(\theta))}{(R+h)^2 cos^2(\theta)}##

Which simplifies to:

##cos^2(\theta)(\frac{d \theta}{dt}) = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{2(R+h)^3}}##

We can then integrate from ##t = 0, \ \ r = R + h, \ \ \theta = 0## to ##t = T, \ \ r = R + z, \ \ \theta = \theta_z##

Which gives the time ##T## taken to fall from a height ##h## to a height ##z##

##T = \sqrt{\frac{(R+h)^3}{8GM}}(2 \theta_z + sin(2 \theta_z)) \ \ (\theta_z = cos^{-1}(\sqrt{\frac{R+z}{R+h}}))##

To get the time to fall to the ground, you just set ##z = 0##

I checked this formula out and found that for a fall of 1,000m the difference is only 0.002s compared to using the constant surface gravity.

Wow! I would never have solved this problem. The real reason I wanted to solve his problem is that I was reading a si fi novel where an asteroid caused the moon to stop orbiting around he earth. I wondered how long it would take for the moon to collide with the Earth if it were not moving in its orbit. Then I wanted to know what an observer would see as the moon got closer and closer to the earth. Now I can figure it out.

thanks

For something as far as the moon, you can get an estimate by taking ##R = 0##. In which case:

##T = \pi \sqrt{\frac{h^3}{8GM}}##

Where ##h## is the distance to the moon, give or take the Earth and moon radii.

I calculate 4.76 days. Now for the final question. What would be the relationship between distance or height and time, i.e. distance = f(time)?
From this I could calculate the angular size vs time. It obviously would not be parabolic as the acceleration is continually changing.

I recall a movie recently where some planet was going to hit the Earth and the movie ended with the star, Kirsten Duntz as I recall sitting on her and watching patio as the approaching planet got slowly larger and larger.

barryj said:
I calculate 4.76 days. Now for the final question. What would be the relationship between distance or height and time, i.e. distance = f(time)?
From this I could calculate the angular size vs time. It obviously would not be parabolic as the acceleration is continually changing.

I recall a movie recently where some planet was going to hit the Earth and the movie ended with the star, Kirsten Duntz as I recall sitting on her and watching patio as the approaching planet got slowly larger and larger.

You can get it from that equation. We can set ##R = 0##, then we have:

##T = \sqrt{\frac{h^3}{8GM}}(2 \theta_z + sin(2 \theta_z)) \ \ (\theta_z = cos^{-1}(\sqrt{\frac{z}{h}}))##

That gives you the time at distance ##z##.

You could use a spreadsheet to calculate ##T## for whatever set of distances you want.

Will do. thanks for your help.

Related to Falling body where acceleration is not constant

1. What is a falling body with non-constant acceleration?

A falling body with non-constant acceleration is an object that is in free fall but is experiencing a change in acceleration over time. This could be due to factors such as air resistance or a change in the gravitational force acting on the object.

2. How is the motion of a falling body with non-constant acceleration different from that of a falling body with constant acceleration?

The motion of a falling body with non-constant acceleration is different from that of a falling body with constant acceleration because the speed and direction of the falling object will vary over time. In contrast, a falling body with constant acceleration will have a steady increase in speed and a constant direction of motion.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a falling body with non-constant acceleration?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a falling body with non-constant acceleration is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

4. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a falling body?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the acceleration of a falling body. As the object falls, it will experience an upward force from air resistance, which will decrease its acceleration. This is because the force of air resistance is opposite to the direction of motion, thus reducing the net force and slowing down the object's fall.

5. What are some examples of falling bodies with non-constant acceleration in real-life situations?

Some examples of falling bodies with non-constant acceleration in real-life situations include a skydiver jumping out of a plane, a ball being thrown into the air, or a feather falling through the air. In all of these cases, the acceleration of the falling object is not constant due to the presence of air resistance.