Fairly basic algebra question - but it's bugging me now

In summary, e.g. (x2-x) can become (x-x2) by taking the minus sign out of the equation. You can also have a long denominator and still move the minus sign down.
kel
Hi,
I'm just going through some notes on linear interpolation, but this bit has got me confused - I think it's an easy work through on gradients etc, but my maths seems to be failing me (mature student here so go easy on me :shy: )

Ok here goes (see attached images - not sure about latex yet. A look at image 2 first, it just shows the gradient equation)

My question is: How can e.g. (x2-x) become (x-x2), I was always taught that when you move the lower part of a division/fraction to the other side of the equals sign, you don't change it! So, how does this work?

Is there some trick that occurs when you rearrange an equation or is there some maths rule that I was never taught.

I know this is probably a solve in 2 seconds type question, but it's starting to bug me now !

Cheer
Kel

Attachments

• Image2.gif
    Image2.gif
    966 bytes · Views: 497
  • Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not post your questions in the tutorial section!
A mentor will move this thread to where it belongs.

Whoops! Sorry, forgot which area I was in. o:)

Please moderator (any one of you) please could you move this to the relevant area.

Thankyou!

kel said:
Hi,
I'm just going through some notes on linear interpolation, but this bit has got me confused - I think it's an easy work through on gradients etc, but my maths seems to be failing me (mature student here so go easy on me :shy: )

Ok here goes (see attached images - not sure about latex yet. A look at image 2 first, it just shows the gradient equation)

My question is: How can e.g. (x2-x) become (x-x2), I was always taught that when you move the lower part of a division/fraction to the other side of the equals sign, you don't change it! So, how does this work?

Is there some trick that occurs when you rearrange an equation or is there some maths rule that I was never taught.
Well, there is NO (x2-x) that becomes (x-x2)! You mean "How can (x2-x1) become (x1-x2).
You have
[tex]y= \frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}(x- x_1)+ y_2[/tex]
and it becomes
[tex]y= y_1\frac{x-x_1}{x_1-x_2}+ y_2\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}[/tex]
Actually that is wrong but not because of the switch of (x2-x1) to (x1-x2).
What you do have is
[tex]\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}(x- x_1)= y2\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}- y_1\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}[/itex]
Do you see that it is negative y1 times the fraction? Take that negative into the denominator of the fraction:
[tex]-y_1\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}= y_1\frac{x-x_1}{x_1-x_2}[/tex]

What is wrong is that the last "y2[/sup]" has been dropped! did you mean
[tex]y- y_2= y_1\frac{x-x_1}{x_1-x_2}+ y_2\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}[/tex]
[tex]y- y_2= y_1A_1(x)+ y_2A_2(x)[/tex]?

I know this is probably a solve in 2 seconds type question, but it's starting to bug me now !

Cheer
Kel

Actually, I just lifted it straight from the course text (pdf file). So any errors will be in the original teaching notes.

Cheers
kel

So basically I can take the minus sign down to the denominator, but then I have to switch the numbers in the demominator to keep the value of the overall multiplication the same ie -2(1/3-1) = 2(1/1-3), I worked these both to be -1, so I guess it works.

Can I also ask, how does this work when you have a long denominator ie -2(1/(2+3-5)*2) can you still move the minus sign down? do I just have to change the +'s to -'s or would I have to rearrange.

Thanks again
Kel

kel said:
So basically I can take the minus sign down to the denominator, but then I have to switch the numbers in the demominator to keep the value of the overall multiplication the same ie -2(1/3-1) = 2(1/1-3), I worked these both to be -1, so I guess it works.

Can I also ask, how does this work when you have a long denominator ie -2(1/(2+3-5)*2) can you still move the minus sign down? do I just have to change the +'s to -'s or would I have to rearrange.

Thanks again
Kel
You can "move" a minus sign wherever you want:
[tex]-\frac{a}{b}= \frac{-a}{b}= \frac{a}{-b}[/tex]
In the example you give
[tex]-2\frac{1}{(2+ 3-5)^2}= \frac{2}{-(2+3-5)^2}= \frac{-2}{(2+3-5)^2}[/itex]
Of course, sinced 2+3-5= 0 that fraction doesn't exist wherever the "-" is! (Were you trying to catch me?)

Nope, just made that question up on the spot.

Thanks for your help
Kel

Related to Fairly basic algebra question - but it's bugging me now

1. How do you solve a basic algebra question?

To solve a basic algebra question, you need to follow the order of operations and work through the problem step by step. First, simplify any parentheses and then solve any exponents. Next, perform any multiplication or division from left to right. Finally, do any addition or subtraction from left to right. Remember to always check your answer!

2. What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is a set of rules to follow when solving equations. The acronym PEMDAS can help you remember the order: first, solve Parentheses, then Exponents, followed by Multiplication and Division (in order from left to right), and finally Addition and Subtraction (in order from left to right).

3. How do I know when to use the distributive property in algebra?

The distributive property is used when there is a term outside of parentheses that needs to be distributed to each term inside the parentheses. This is often seen when simplifying expressions or solving equations. If there is a number or variable outside of parentheses with a multiplication or division sign, you will likely need to use the distributive property.

4. What is the difference between solving an equation and simplifying an expression?

Solving an equation means finding the value of the variable that makes the equation true. This often involves performing operations on both sides of the equation until the variable is isolated on one side. Simplifying an expression, on the other hand, means combining like terms and simplifying any numerical or variable expressions. This does not involve finding the value of a variable.

5. Can you solve an equation with variables on both sides?

Yes, you can solve an equation with variables on both sides. The goal is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by performing operations on both sides to eliminate the variable on the opposite side. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value. Remember to perform the same operations on both sides of the equation to maintain equality.