Failure to understand a basic integral application

In summary, the mistake in the thinking process was in assuming that you can sum infinitely many values of f(x) by just taking one value of x at the end of a segment. Instead, you need to approximate the sum by considering smaller and smaller segments and taking into account the values of f(x) in those segments.
cantRemember
I will show you my (obviously wrong) way of thinking when i have to apply an integral.
Please correct me where I'm wrong.

(imaginary question)
Suppose you have a mass distribution across a line, where the mass of each point is given by the equation f(x)=a*x (assume a is a constant)
find the total mass, if the line is c meters long (beggining @ x=0)

(My stupid train of thought)
We have to add up all the individual masses on the line.
so divide the line into n segments, calculate the mass for each one and add them up
f(x1)+f(x2)+...+f(xn)=
a*x1+a*x2+...+a*xn=
a(x1+x2+...+xn)=
a*c

What am i doing wrong?
(Besides the language use, I'm not a native and have little experience in such teminology)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think first line (f(x1)+f(x2)+...+f(xn) =) is alredy wrong.

I think you shoud write it like this:

f(x1)*Δx+ f(x2)*Δx+f(x3)*Δx+f(x4)*Δx+...+f(xc)*Δx=

Try to calculate using this expresion.

Although something else is weird at this example. Ussualy, that kind of examples give the function of density and not mass. If each point has some nonzero mass on some interval, that the whole mass on the interval should be infinity. Correct me if I am wrong.

@cantRemember
Your mistake is when you go from

"a(x1+x2+...+xn)="
to
"a*c"

the Sum of the integers 1+2+3+4+...+n
is NOT c
it's c(c+1)/2 (ultimately the area of a triangle - not the length of the rod).

You could get the right answer using
ax1 +a(x2-x1) +a(x3-x2) +a(x4-x3) + .. + a(xn-xn-1)
which would be adding up the masses of the individual lengths. This, of course, simplifies into a xn
which is the value ac you wanted!

But shouldn't be that infinity, since we have an infinity mass points?

kapital said:
But shouldn't be that infinity, since we have an infinity mass points?

That would be the next step in the argument - i.e. going from a simple summation to an integration. The OP has not gone as far as to take the limit as Δx→0. In that case, the answer is still ac, where a is the mass per unit length.

it's correct that the problem of infinity will arise when we take limit n-> infinity... I think cantRemember is looking for a way to look at his simplified version of the problem...
so if we divide the length c into n segments (each segment of length c/n) and assume that the mass of segment number i is f(xi) = a*xi, where xi is the coordinate of the center of the segment, then...

total mass = f(x1)+f(x2)+...+f(xn)
= a*x1+a*x2+...+a*xn
= a(x1+x2+...+xn)... (cantRemember is right till here)
= a*c/n * (1+2+3+...+n)... (what sophiecentaur said)
= a*c/n * n*(n+1)/2 ... (the summation in the brackets will not give c*(c+1)/2)
= a*c*(n+1)/2

NOT a*c

sophiecentaur's solution would be correct if in f(x) = a*x, x is the length of the segment under consideration and not the x co-ordinate of the segment

This thread is not being rigorous enough, I think. It would be far better to start with some basic Maths and a book would be a better way through. Question and answer doesn't deal with this sort of thing very well as the threads ramble far too much..
I am not sure that I actually answered the question he posed and I may have added confusion. Step by step through a page of book-work would sort it all out.

cantRemember said:
We have to add up all the individual masses on the line.
so divide the line into n segments, calculate the mass for each one and add them up
f(x1)+f(x2)+...+f(xn)=
a*x1+a*x2+...+a*xn=
a(x1+x2+...+xn)=
a*c

What am i doing wrong?

The mistake is in how you add "all the individual masses". In any of your segments, there are infinitely many of them, so you cannot just take one value of f(x) at the end of a segment.

Instead, you assume that the segment is so small, that f(x) does not change much in it, then the max of the segment can be approximated by the length of the segment multiplied by the value of f(x) somewhere in that segment. So you end up summing these: [itex]f(\xi_i)(x_i - x_{i - 1})[/itex], where [itex]\xi_i \in [x_{i - 1}, x_i][/itex]. Because you assume that f(x) does not change much in a segment, you can just take [itex]x_i[/itex] for [itex]\xi_i[/itex], so we will sum [itex]f(\xi_i)(x_i - x_{i - 1}) = ax_i(x_i - x_{i - 1})[/itex]. You can further take all the segments to be of the same length [itex]d = (B - A)/N[/itex], where [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are the limits of integration, and [itex]N[/itex] is the number of segments, thus getting the sum of [itex]f(\xi_i)(x_i - x_{i - 1}) = ax_i(x_i - x_{i - 1}) = a(A + di)(d)[/itex]. Putting all together, the integral then becomes [tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{N}ad(A + di) = ad\frac N 2 (A + B)[/tex] because it is just the sum of arithmetic progression, and plugging there the definition of [itex]d[/itex] you obtain [itex]a\frac {B^2 - A^2} {2}[/itex].

In this particular case we did not actually have to go to the limit of the sum with N growing infinitely, but that is because f(x) was linear. With more complex functions, we would have to.

Related to Failure to understand a basic integral application

1. What is a basic integral application?

A basic integral application is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve a variety of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is it important to understand basic integral applications?

Understanding basic integral applications is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems and make accurate predictions. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in higher-level mathematics and science courses.

3. How do I know when to use a basic integral application?

Basic integral applications are typically used when we need to find the total amount or accumulation of something over a given interval. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object, the total amount of liquid in a tank, or the total revenue earned by a company over a certain period of time.

4. What are some common mistakes when using basic integral applications?

One common mistake is incorrectly setting up the integral, which can lead to an incorrect answer. Another mistake is forgetting to include the units when solving a problem. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they are set up correctly.

5. How can I improve my understanding of basic integral applications?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of basic integral applications. Make sure to work through a variety of problems and check your answers. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with certain concepts or applications.