Failing a non-major(ish) physics course

In summary, the speaker is struggling in their CS2 course and is considering dropping it. They are a physics and math major and are doing well in those subjects, but not in CS2. They are seeking advice on whether or not to drop the course. The other person suggests dropping it if there is no hope of passing and if the speaker does not enjoy it. They also reassure the speaker that one course will not determine their future.
HermitianField
I took CS 1 (simple Java stuff) on the first semester, and that was relatively easy for me to do. However, I am not doing so well in my CS2 course, as I just miserably failed one exam to the point of likely losing hope of getting a B on that course. Now, I am a physics and math major, and I am doing nicely on each one of them, but I am failing CS2. Should I drop that class? I really only needed CS1 for my major requirements, but CS2 is optional. Any help here would be great. Yes, I still have time to drop my course, in case you wondered.

Physics news on Phys.org
I say do what you got to do. If there is no hope in passing and you don't enjoy it, then drop it. Either way, one course will not determine your fate.

Related to Failing a non-major(ish) physics course

1. What does it mean to fail a non-major(ish) physics course?

Failing a non-major(ish) physics course means that you did not meet the minimum requirements to pass the course. This could be due to a low grade on assignments or exams, not completing required coursework, or not meeting attendance/participation requirements.

2. Will failing a non-major(ish) physics course affect my overall GPA?

Yes, failing a non-major(ish) physics course will most likely affect your overall GPA. Most universities use a grade point system where failing grades, such as an F, have a value of 0 and will significantly lower your GPA.

3. Can I retake a non-major(ish) physics course if I fail it?

Yes, you can retake a non-major(ish) physics course if you fail it. However, the policies for retaking courses may vary between universities. Some may allow you to retake the course for a better grade, while others may only allow you to retake for a Pass/Fail grade. It is important to check with your university's policies.

4. Will failing a non-major(ish) physics course affect my ability to graduate?

It depends on your university's requirements and policies. If the non-major(ish) physics course is a required course for your major or for graduation, then failing it may delay your graduation. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the impact of failing the course on your graduation plans.

5. How can I avoid failing a non-major(ish) physics course?

The best way to avoid failing a non-major(ish) physics course is to stay on top of the course material and assignments. Make sure to attend all lectures and participate in class. If you are struggling with the material, don't be afraid to ask for help from your professor or a tutor. It is also important to manage your time effectively and not wait until the last minute to complete assignments or study for exams.