Failed my two semesters of biology

• Thread starter risingabove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary: If you can't remember the material, sometimes studying flashcards or studying the material after you have learned it will help. You might also want to review the material before tests to make sure you understand it. You may also want to consider other resources besides your textbook. For example, Khan Academy may be a good place to start.
risingabove
I have failed my two semesters of biology and its not like i didn't read the material given or didn't do the work given...

I just can't seem to pass, now I am repeating in the summer and i am terrify, to the point where i am even afraid to try...

I have tried all methods of studying... i don't understand how i can figure out Organic Chemistry and Physics and pass with A's and not biology, a subject that i enjoy...what is it am i missing?

I've got one more chance at this to pass with an A to get into med and i don't even know where to begin...

i will read a topic now and later when i try to test myself i can't remember... or even answer the shot answer questions they gave...it is soooo vague...

Any advice or motivation... or inspiration...

Physics news on Phys.org
One definitely needs to understand the concepts but bio 1 and 2 is quite a bit of memorization. Perhaps you aren't good in doing that. The method which has always worked for me in biology is "Structure...Function...Relationship".

If you have memory issues... " The memory book " by Harry Lorayne might be of some help. Also you might want to try the quiz/recall method by Cal Newport.

What studying approaches have you tried so far? And under what conditions? How much time did you put in? What system did you use for feedback? What resources beyond your textbook did you use?

Some of the people who post here will have good advice to offer, but you have to give them something to work with.

Also, it helps to make an effort to type properly. That makes it easier for people to read and properly understand your posts.

Physics and Chemistry are much different from Biology. The physical sciences give you clear structured knowledge to learn. Biology is a mess. That is not strictly true, just a comparison. The physical sciences give more of mechanistic thinking which is very difficult to find in Biology, although you can find some success or satisfaction in something biological. Microbiology may be better than some other general or introductory Biology courses.

As for your failing Biology twice, maybe your counseling department could give you the right advice (?) or help arrange for a remedy.

Biology is not necessarily more memorization than physics. It depends on how the course is taught, which varies tremendously. Was the course taught the same way both times? What do you mean the questions are vague? Have you tried asking the teachers for guidance?

Related to Failed my two semesters of biology

1. What are the consequences of failing two semesters of biology?

The consequences of failing two semesters of biology can vary depending on your school's policies, but typically it can result in academic probation, repeating the courses, or even being dismissed from the program. It may also affect your overall GPA and future academic opportunities.

2. Can I still continue pursuing a career in science if I fail two semesters of biology?

Yes, failing two semesters of biology does not necessarily mean the end of your career in science. You can retake the courses, improve your grades, and demonstrate your understanding of the subject through other academic achievements or experiences.

3. How can I avoid failing biology in the future?

To avoid failing biology in the future, it is important to identify the root cause of your struggles and address them. This may involve seeking help from a tutor, attending study groups, or communicating with your professor about any difficulties you are facing. It is also important to stay organized and dedicated to studying and completing assignments.

4. Will failing two semesters of biology affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Yes, failing two semesters of biology can potentially affect your chances of getting into graduate school. However, it is not necessarily a determining factor. Admissions committees will also consider other aspects of your application such as your overall GPA, letters of recommendation, and relevant work or research experience.

5. What resources are available to help me improve my understanding of biology?

There are many resources available to help you improve your understanding of biology, including tutoring services, study groups, online resources, and academic support centers at your school. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed to improve your understanding and grades in the subject.