Failed Engineering Admissions: How to Stay on Track for a EE Degree?

In summary, the speaker applied for an engineering college but was rejected even though they had a high GPA and all the required classes. They are concerned about not being able to take EE classes next semester and are considering majoring in physics with a minor in EE instead. They have talked to a past professor who believes the two subjects are closely related and it may not be a bad decision to pursue a physics degree with a minor in EE. However, they may have to market themselves differently to companies without the "EE" title on their diploma.
DrummingAtom
So I applied for the engineering college and they rejected me even though I have a 3.9 gpa and all the classes required for admission. They made it sound like the college is full because they can't even accept me as a undecided engineering major. I'm freaking out a little bit because next semester, according to the curriculum, I should be taking 3 EE classes. So unless I could take summer classes I would finish a semester late and that's if spots open up in the college of engineering.

I want to be an EE and need to figure out how I should approach this. The physics degree at my school has a nice option with engineering electives (15 credits) and the college of engineering does have an EE minor which if I do get accepted for the minor later it won't matter that much. So I could do a physics major with 33 credits in EE (18 minor + 15 physics electives) and still graduate on time.

I guess my questions is has anyone ever done a physics degree with the complete intention on becoming an engineer? The main reason I wanted to do EE was because I want to work in industry and I'm also fairly certain I would just stop at a bachelor's. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

I just talked to one of my past Physics Professors about this yesterday and he said that EE and Physics are very closely related as far as classes go. I don't think that physics with a minor in EE would be a bad Decision at all. the only real difference would be marketing yourself to companies, in which you would have to be more descriptive about your capabilities because you don't have the "EE" title on your diploma. I hope this helps a little...

Related to Failed Engineering Admissions: How to Stay on Track for a EE Degree?

1. How can I prevent failing engineering admissions?

There are a few key steps you can take to prevent failing engineering admissions. First, make sure you have a strong academic background and meet all the requirements for admission. Second, take challenging math and science courses in high school to prepare for the rigor of engineering coursework. Third, stay organized and manage your time effectively to keep up with assignments and exams. Lastly, seek help from teachers or tutors if you are struggling with any subjects.

2. What should I do if I am waitlisted for an engineering program?

If you are waitlisted for an engineering program, do not panic. This means that the program sees potential in you and is considering admitting you. You can increase your chances of getting off the waitlist by reaching out to the admissions office and expressing your continued interest in the program. You can also provide updated grades or test scores, and ask for letters of recommendation from teachers or professionals in the engineering field.

3. How can I stay motivated and focused during my engineering degree?

Engineering degrees can be challenging, but staying motivated and focused is crucial for success. One way to stay motivated is by setting achievable goals for yourself and celebrating each accomplishment. Additionally, surround yourself with like-minded individuals who share your passion for engineering, and seek out mentors who can provide guidance and support. Lastly, remember to take breaks and maintain a healthy work-life balance to avoid burnout.

4. What steps can I take to improve my chances of getting a job after earning my engineering degree?

To improve your chances of getting a job after earning your engineering degree, it is important to gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs. Additionally, networking with professionals in your field and attending career fairs can help you make valuable connections and learn about job opportunities. It is also important to continuously develop your skills and stay updated on industry advancements to make yourself a competitive candidate.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in my engineering degree?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in your engineering degree. Most universities offer tutoring services, study groups, and academic advisors who can provide guidance and support. You can also join engineering clubs or organizations to connect with peers and participate in hands-on projects. Additionally, online resources such as textbooks, video tutorials, and practice problems can supplement your coursework and help you better understand difficult concepts.