Secular reading at baccalaureate. Give me suggestions.

In summary: Since it is "highly recommended" that all seniors attend the baccalaureate service after my high school graduation, and since the religious nature of such a service makes me uncomfortable, I was thinking of asking the principal to include a secular reading at the baccalaureate. If she agrees, I'll need to find an appropriate short reading (an excerpt from a novel or a section from a philosophical work, preferably). Any ideas?In summary, the baccalaureate service is a more formal graduation ceremony and the religious nature of it makes the protagonist uncomfortable. She suggests picking an excerpt from a novel or a section from a philosophical work, and finding an appropriate author.
zk4586
Since it is "highly recommended" that all seniors attend the baccalaureate service after my high school graduation, and since the religious nature of such a service makes me uncomfortable, I was thinking of asking the principal to include a secular reading at the baccalaureate. If she agrees, I'll need to find an appropriate short reading (an excerpt from a novel or a section from a philosophical work, preferably). Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
No suggestion here, but listen to this story: We had baccalaureate the day before graduation. I've never really cared about getting awards in front of a crowd, they just aren't a big deal to me. So I didn't go. The next day at graduation our key speaker was the governor of Nevada. Before they started handing out diplomas the governor called me up and gave me my awards and scholarships himself. I was the only one singled out like that so I suggest skipping baccalaureate altogether.

tribdog said:
No suggestion here, but listen to this story: We had baccalaureate the day before graduation. I've never really cared about getting awards in front of a crowd, they just aren't a big deal to me. So I didn't go. The next day at graduation our key speaker was the governor of Nevada. Before they started handing out diplomas the governor called me up and gave me my awards and scholarships himself. I was the only one singled out like that so I suggest skipping baccalaureate altogether.

Haha. That's pretty damn awesome.

What is a baccalaureate service? Does it have something to do with the IB program?

zk4586 said:
Since it is "highly recommended" that all seniors attend the baccalaureate service after my high school graduation, and since the religious nature of such a service makes me uncomfortable, I was thinking of asking the principal to include a secular reading at the baccalaureate. If she agrees, I'll need to find an appropriate short reading (an excerpt from a novel or a section from a philosophical work, preferably). Any ideas?

The works of Tolstoy are magnificent. I suggest his book (if which I am unable to recall the name of). His works concern political + social works and his insight into it all is very dramatic and has been admired. My sister read it at a very young age, and is still amazed by the book. The book consists of short essays.
If you wish for me to find out the title (which will be no trouble at all, I assure you), please say so. :biggrin:

Imparcticle said:
The works of Tolstoy are magnificent. I suggest his book (if which I am unable to recall the name of). His works concern political + social works and his insight into it all is very dramatic and has been admired. My sister read it at a very young age, and is still amazed by the book. The book consists of short essays.
If you wish for me to find out the title (which will be no trouble at all, I assure you), please say so. :biggrin:

That'd be great. Yes, please. Though Tolstoy was a Christian.

And in response to your question, it's just a more formal graduation ceremony. I don't really understand it myself. But apparently they're trying to get both a minister and a rabbi to speak.

Last edited:
Even better! I just found the whole book online. Here's the address (by the way, this site is my favorite. It has a ton of books online from charles dickens to plato.):

http://www.readprint.com/work-1432/Leo-Tolstoy

okay, now all you have to do is pick a chapter.

1. What is secular reading at baccalaureate?

Secular reading at baccalaureate refers to the practice of incorporating non-religious or non-theistic literature into the curriculum of a baccalaureate program. This can include a variety of genres, such as fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and essays.

2. Why is secular reading important at the baccalaureate level?

Secular reading is important at the baccalaureate level because it exposes students to diverse perspectives and ideas, encourages critical thinking and analysis, and promotes a deeper understanding of the world and different cultures. It also helps students develop their communication and writing skills.

3. How can secular reading be incorporated into a baccalaureate program?

There are several ways to incorporate secular reading into a baccalaureate program. One approach is to include specific courses or electives focused on secular literature. Another option is to incorporate secular readings into existing courses, such as using non-religious texts as examples in a literature or writing class.

4. Are there any potential challenges or controversies with incorporating secular reading at the baccalaureate level?

Yes, there may be challenges or controversies surrounding the incorporation of secular reading in a baccalaureate program. Some students or parents may have objections to certain texts or topics, and it is important for educators to address these concerns and create a safe and respectful learning environment for all students.

5. Can secular reading be beneficial for students with religious beliefs?

Yes, secular reading can be beneficial for students with religious beliefs. It can help them develop critical thinking skills and gain a better understanding of different perspectives. Additionally, secular reading does not necessarily contradict or invalidate religious beliefs, as it simply presents alternative viewpoints and ideas for students to consider.