Factorization little explanation ?

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for quickly factorizing quadratics, with the first step being to play around with the values of a and b to determine the factorization of c. The example provided is 5x^2 + 14x - 3, which can be factored as (x+3)(5x-1). The conversation also mentions vedic mathematics and using factors of a and b to find the solution. The speaker suggests practicing with simpler equations to learn these shortcuts and using vedic mathematics for more complicated ones.
lionely
Alright in class, my teacher can factorize quadratics almost instantly.

I wanted to know if anyone can tell me how to do it his way...

Like if you had

5x^2 + 14x - 3
(x+3)(5x-1)

He writes that instantly, I kind of figured out in the first term, you put the sign that the b term has... then i get stuck.

By the way I know how to factorize the long way.. but I would like to learn this short way so I can work faster.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the quadratics are of the level of the example you gave, I'd say by practice. You work with them so much that you start seeing patterns right away.

For more complicated ones (9x^2 - 15x + 2, etc.), vedic mathematics has laid down some tricks.

I think that with the level of factorization that you're describing, shortcuts are very possible.

1) In a given equation ax2+bx+c, play around with a and b to get c. What I mean by this is to either add them if c is positive (adding negative values is still adding keep in mind), or subtract them if c is negative. Unforunately, this almost always merely sends you in the right general direction for further analysis; for equations like the one you described, this will rarely give you the solution right away.
2) Play around with factors of a and b. Using the same methodology from step 1, this can give you the answer. For example, when I saw 5x2+14x-3, I figured out that since c was negative, a and b would have to be different values. Since c is 3, how can a or b be factored in such a way that the difference between the two equates to 3? Well, given that b is 14, b will have to be broken down. Since b is 14, it is likely that 5 and 3 could be used provided that one negative x value can be provided by the factorization. Since x has a high value, 5 must be aligned with x so that when the minus sign comes in the last parens with that beautiful little one, a high number still remains.
3) From there, the rest flows naturally.

Hope this helped give insight into some useful methods.

Related to Factorization little explanation ?

1. What is factorization and why is it important?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a number into smaller numbers that can be multiplied together to get the original number. It is important because it allows us to simplify complex numbers and solve equations more easily.

2. How do you factorize a number?

To factorize a number, you need to find its factors, which are numbers that can be multiplied together to get the original number. You can do this by dividing the number by smaller numbers until you find the factors. For example, to factorize 12, you can divide it by 2, 3, and 4, which are its factors.

3. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

A prime number is a number that has exactly two factors, 1 and itself. Examples include 2, 3, 5, and 7. A composite number is a number that has more than two factors. Examples include 4, 6, 8, and 10. Prime numbers are important in factorization because they cannot be broken down into smaller factors.

4. How is factorization used in real life?

Factorization is used in various real-life applications, including cryptography, computer algorithms, and economics. In cryptography, it is used to create secure codes and in computer algorithms, it is used to solve complex equations. In economics, it is used to find the prime factors of large numbers, which is crucial in calculating interest rates and determining the value of financial assets.

5. Can all numbers be factorized?

Yes, all numbers can be factorized. However, some numbers may have a larger number of factors, making it more challenging to find them. Prime numbers, in particular, can only be divided by 1 and themselves, so they have fewer factors compared to composite numbers.