Factoring vs. original equation

• Thread starter stnbtch15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to an equation, x^2-7x+12=0, and the confusion over the correct answer. The participants suggest using the values 3 and 4, but when the solution doesn't work, they realize there may be a mistake in their calculations. Additionally, they offer to help each other revise their knowledge of quadratics.
stnbtch15
ok so i was presented with the equation x^2-7x+12=0 and i can't decide what the answer should be. if i factor the equation i come up with 3 and 4. but when i plug those back into the original equation it doesn't work. so does that mean that there is no answer or does it mean I'm doing something wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It means you're calculating the values you plugged back into the equation incorrectly :-p

3 and 4 are the correct answers, so try plugging them in once more, and if you still aren't getting zero after plugging in those values, post what you've done so we can help show you what you've done wrong (even if you used a calculator, show us exactly how you wrote it in the calculator because the misuse of brackets can screw up a lot of people).

well now i feel like a dummy

Happens all the time :smile: - but... you don't... do it all the time do you?

Haha good luck with those quadratics :wink:

Um. You mean -3 and -4.

Phrak, best you go back and revise your quadratics as well :-p

I agree. The OP arrived at the correct solutions, but made a mistake in checking them.

Mentallic said:
Phrak, best you go back and revise your quadratics as well :-p

Oh my! You got me.

Related to Factoring vs. original equation

1. What is the difference between factoring and the original equation?

Factoring is the process of breaking down an equation into smaller parts, while the original equation is the complete mathematical expression. Factoring helps to simplify complex equations and find solutions, while the original equation helps to understand the relationship between variables.

2. When should factoring be used instead of the original equation?

Factoring is useful when trying to solve for a specific variable or simplify an equation. It is also helpful when trying to find the roots or zeros of an equation. The original equation is useful when trying to understand the overall relationship between variables.

3. What are the benefits of factoring an equation?

Factoring can make an equation easier to understand and solve. It can also help to identify common factors, which can be useful for simplifying and solving equations. In some cases, factoring can also reveal patterns and relationships between variables.

4. Is it always necessary to factor an equation?

No, it is not always necessary to factor an equation. In some cases, the original equation may be simpler to work with or provide the necessary information. However, factoring can often make solving equations easier and more efficient, so it is a useful tool to have in your mathematical toolbox.

5. Are there any drawbacks to factoring an equation?

One drawback of factoring is that it may not always be possible to factor an equation, especially if it is complex or has irrational or imaginary solutions. In these cases, the original equation may be the only way to solve or understand the equation. Additionally, factoring can be time-consuming and may not always lead to a simplified or easier-to-solve equation.