Factoring Trigonometric Expression.

In summary, the given expression can be decomposed into real factors using the identities $\sin x = \frac{2t}{1+t^2}$ and $\cos x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}$, where $t = \tan \frac{x}{2}$. This results in a simplified expression involving the terms $(\sin \frac{x}{2})$ and $(\cos \frac{x}{2} - \sin \frac{x}{2})$. By converting the expression to the form $z = e^{ix}$ and using Wolfram, we can further simplify it into a factorization involving $z^{\frac{1}{2}}$ and $z^{-\frac{
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Decompose the expression below into real factors:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin^5 x-\cos^5 x\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Decompose the expression below into real factors:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin^5 x-\cos^5 x\)
A possible procedure is to use the identities...

$\displaystyle \sin x = \frac{2\ t}{1+ t^{2}}$ $\displaystyle \cos x = \frac{1-t^{2}}{1+ t^{2}}$ (1)... where $\displaystyle t = \tan \frac{x}{2}$. In this case we obtain... $\displaystyle 1 -\sin^{5} x - \cos^{5} x = \frac{(1+t^{2})^{5} - (1 - t^{2})^{5} - 32\ t^{5}}{(1+t^{2})^{5}} = \frac{2\ t^{2}\ (t-1)^{2}\ (t^{6} + 2\ t^{5} + 3\ t^{4} + 4\ t^{3} + 15\ t^{2} + 10\ t + 5)}{(1+t^{2})^{5}}$ (2)

The problem now is, of course, to pass from the factorization in t to the factorization in x...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

I think it's easy to deduce that $1 - \sin x$ is a factor. If we re-write our expression as

$1 - \sin^5 x - \cos^3x(1-\sin^2 x) = $$(1 - \sin x)(1 + \sin x + \sin^2 x + \sin^3 x + \sin^4 x) - \cos^3 x(1 - \sin x)(1 + \sin x)$

Similarly for $1 - \cos x$ by $1 - \cos^5x - \sin^3 x(1 - \cos^2 x)$ but have not been able to get both of them out. The graph suggests that both are there as there are only two zeros on $[0,2\pi]$. One at $x = 0$ and the other at $x=\pi/2$.

Last edited:
If we write $z = e^{ix}$, the expression becomes
$$1−\left(\frac 1 {2i}(z-z^{-1})\right)^5−\left(\frac 1 2(z+z^{-1})\right)^5$$

According to Wolfram, this is equal to
$$\frac{(\frac 1{32}+\frac i{32}) (z-1)^2 (z-i)^2 (1+(2-2 i) z-9 i z^2-(12+12 i) z^3-9 z^4-(2-2 i) z^5+i z^6)}{z^5}$$

As an observation, if we set it to zero, we find the roots $z=1$ and $z=i$ (each of multiplicity 2) that translate to $x=0 \pmod{2\pi}$ and $x=\frac \pi 2 \pmod{2\pi}$.

We can rewrite the expression as
$$\frac 1{32}(1+i) (z^{\frac 1 2}-z^{-\frac 1 2})^2 (z^{\frac 1 2}-iz^{-\frac 1 2})^2 (z^{-3}+(2-2 i) z^{-2}-9 i z^{-1}-12(1+i) -9 z-(2-2 i) z^2+i z^3)$$
$$\frac 1{32}(1+i) (z^{\frac 1 2}-z^{-\frac 1 2})^2 (z^{\frac 1 2}-iz^{-\frac 1 2})^2 (i (z^3 - iz^{-3})-2(1-i)(z^2 - z^{-2})-9 (z+i z^{-1})-12(1+i))$$

We can verify that
$$\left\{ \begin{aligned}
z+z^{-1}&=2\cos x \\
z-z^{-1}&=2i\sin x \\
z-i z^{-1}&=(1-i)(\cos x - \sin x) \\
z+iz^{-1}&=(1+i)(\cos x + \sin x)
\end{aligned}\right.$$
So we can further simplify it, which I will do in a later post...

Either way, the important factors for the roots are $(\sin \frac x 2)$ and $(\cos \frac x 2 - \sin \frac x 2)$.

Last edited:
OK, I got the other term. Here's what I have so far.

$(\sin x -1)(\cos x -1)(3 + 3 \sin x + 3 \cos x + 2 \sin x \cos x - \sin^3 x-\cos^3 x)$.

Next is to show that the 3rd term is always positive.

OK, I think I got the rest of this. The third term can be written as

$\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\sin x + \cos x + \dfrac{2}{3}\right)^3 + \dfrac{5}{6}\left(\sin x +\cos x + \dfrac{2}{3}\right) + \dfrac{35}{27}$.

So this term is cubic in the variable $\sin x + \cos x + \dfrac{2}{3}$ which is increasing so is minimum would be at the left endpoint of the interval of interest. Now the trig terms can be written as

$\sin x + \cos x + \dfrac{2}{3} = \sqrt{2} \sin \left( x + \dfrac{\pi}{4}\right) + \dfrac{2}{3}$

from which we can deduce that the interval of interest is

$\left[\dfrac{2}{3} - \sqrt{2}, \dfrac{2}{3} + \sqrt{2}\right]$Substituting the left endpoint into the cubic shows it is positive, thus giving that

$3 + 3 \sin x + 3 \cos x + 2 \sin x \cos x - \sin^3 x - \cos^3 x > 0$

chisigma said:
A possible procedure is to use the identities...

$\displaystyle \sin x = \frac{2\ t}{1+ t^{2}}$ $\displaystyle \cos x = \frac{1-t^{2}}{1+ t^{2}}$ (1)... where $\displaystyle t = \tan \frac{x}{2}$. In this case we obtain... $\displaystyle 1 -\sin^{5} x - \cos^{5} x = \frac{(1+t^{2})^{5} - (1 - t^{2})^{5} - 32\ t^{5}}{(1+t^{2})^{5}} = \frac{2\ t^{2}\ (t-1)^{2}\ (t^{6} + 2\ t^{5} + 3\ t^{4} + 4\ t^{3} + 15\ t^{2} + 10\ t + 5)}{(1+t^{2})^{5}}$ (2)

The problem now is, of course, to pass from the factorization in t to the factorization in x...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$
I like Serena said:
If we write $z = e^{ix}$, the expression becomes
$$1−\left(\frac 1 {2i}(z-z^{-1})\right)^5−\left(\frac 1 2(z+z^{-1})\right)^5$$

According to Wolfram, this is equal to
$$\frac{(\frac 1{32}+\frac i{32}) (z-1)^2 (z-i)^2 (1+(2-2 i) z-9 i z^2-(12+12 i) z^3-9 z^4-(2-2 i) z^5+i z^6)}{z^5}$$

As an observation, if we set it to zero, we find the roots $z=1$ and $z=i$ (each of multiplicity 2) that translate to $x=0 \pmod{2\pi}$ and $x=\frac \pi 2 \pmod{2\pi}$.

We can rewrite the expression as
$$\frac 1{32}(1+i) (z^{\frac 1 2}-z^{-\frac 1 2})^2 (z^{\frac 1 2}-iz^{-\frac 1 2})^2 (z^{-3}+(2-2 i) z^{-2}-9 i z^{-1}-12(1+i) -9 z-(2-2 i) z^2+i z^3)$$
$$\frac 1{32}(1+i) (z^{\frac 1 2}-z^{-\frac 1 2})^2 (z^{\frac 1 2}-iz^{-\frac 1 2})^2 (i (z^3 - iz^{-3})-2(1-i)(z^2 - z^{-2})-9 (z+i z^{-1})-12(1+i))$$

We can verify that
$$\left\{ \begin{aligned}
z+z^{-1}&=2\cos x \\
z-z^{-1}&=2i\sin x \\
z-i z^{-1}&=(1-i)(\cos x - \sin x) \\
z+iz^{-1}&=(1+i)(\cos x + \sin x)
\end{aligned}\right.$$
So we can further simplify it, which I will do in a later post...

Either way, the important factors for the roots are $(\sin \frac x 2)$ and $(\cos \frac x 2 - \sin \frac x 2)$.

Thanks to both of you for showing that the factorization could also be done by using those two different useful trigonometric substitutions. I want to thank to both of you too for taking the time to participating to this challenge problem.

And I like Serena, I am looking forward to see your next post because I know what you are going to post will benefit the readers for sure.:)

Jester said:
OK, I got the other term. Here's what I have so far.

$(\sin x -1)(\cos x -1)(3 + 3 \sin x + 3 \cos x + 2 \sin x \cos x - \sin^3 x-\cos^3 x)$.

Next is to show that the 3rd term is always positive.

This is exactly what I did to get the first two real factors and

Jester said:
OK, I think I got the rest of this. The third term can be written as

$\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\sin x + \cos x + \dfrac{2}{3}\right)^3 + \dfrac{5}{6}\left(\sin x +\cos x + \dfrac{2}{3}\right) + \dfrac{35}{27}$.

So this term is cubic in the variable $\sin x + \cos x + \dfrac{2}{3}$ which is increasing so is minimum would be at the left endpoint of the interval of interest. Now the trig terms can be written as

$\sin x + \cos x + \dfrac{2}{3} = \sqrt{2} \sin \left( x + \dfrac{\pi}{4}\right) + \dfrac{2}{3}$

from which we can deduce that the interval of interest is

$\left[\dfrac{2}{3} - \sqrt{2}, \dfrac{2}{3} + \sqrt{2}\right]$Substituting the left endpoint into the cubic shows it is positive, thus giving that

$3 + 3 \sin x + 3 \cos x + 2 \sin x \cos x - \sin^3 x - \cos^3 x > 0$

I am impressed with how easy the desired result you obtained (i.e. to prove the third factor is always positive for all real \(\displaystyle x\)) by setting up the third factor in terms of \(\displaystyle \sin x+\cos x+\frac{2}{3}\).

Thanks for the posts and insights, Jester!:)

P.S. The way that I proved the third factor is always positive for all real \(\displaystyle x\) is by the graphing method.:eek:

Related to Factoring Trigonometric Expression.

What is factoring of trigonometric expressions?

Factoring of trigonometric expressions is the process of breaking down a trigonometric expression into simpler terms. This can help in solving equations and making calculations easier.

Why is factoring trigonometric expressions important?

Factoring trigonometric expressions is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with. This can help in solving equations, graphing functions, and understanding the relationships between trigonometric functions.

What are the common techniques used in factoring trigonometric expressions?

The common techniques used in factoring trigonometric expressions include factoring by grouping, factoring by difference of squares, and factoring by completing the square. These techniques are similar to those used in factoring algebraic expressions.

How do I know when to use factoring to simplify a trigonometric expression?

You can use factoring to simplify a trigonometric expression when you notice common factors or familiar patterns in the expression. For example, if you see a difference of squares or a common factor in the terms, factoring can be used to simplify the expression.

Are there any special cases when factoring trigonometric expressions?

Yes, there are special cases when factoring trigonometric expressions. These include expressions involving trigonometric identities, multiple angles, and trigonometric functions raised to powers. In these cases, specific techniques may need to be used to factor the expression.