Factoring "Puzzle": Find a for \frac {a^2 - 2x -3}{x^2 - 4x + a}

In summary: Thanks for your feedback! In summary, you can factor the following polynomial:x = \frac {4 \pm \sqrt{16 - 4 * 1 * a} } {2}
kenewbie
factoring "puzzle"

For what values of "a" can the following be factored and reduced:

[tex] \frac {a^2 - 2x -3}{x^2 - 4x + a} [/tex]

Ok, so the first thing on the list is to factor the top term.

[tex] x = \frac {-(-2) \pm \sqrt{(-2)^2 - 4 * 1 * (-3)} } {2 * 1} [/tex]

The roots are 3 & -1, and the factors then become

[tex] (x-3)(x+1) [/tex]

So, I want the denominator to become either both, or one of those factors.

I start off by rewriting the denominator as an equation

[tex] x = \frac {4 \pm \sqrt{16 - 4 * 1 * a} } {2} [/tex]

At this point I can tell that there are only solutions for [tex] a < 5 [/tex]

I know that I want the roots the polynomial to be either 3 or -1 (or both), so I substitute everything inside the square root with R, and check which values I need from the square root.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{4 + R}{2} = 3\\
4 + R = 6\\
R = 2\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{4 + R}{2} = -1\\
4 + R = -2\\
R = -6\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Since I would be hard pressed to get the square root back as negative 6, I conclude that I want the result of the square root to be 2.

In other words

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\sqrt{16 - 4 * 1 * a} = 2\\
16 - 4a = 4\\
a = 3\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Finally there. I factor the polynomial using [tex] a = 3 [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac {4 \pm \sqrt{16 - 4 * 3} } {2} [/tex]

The roots are 3 and 1 which gives the factors

[tex] (x-3)(x-1) [/tex]

And I can now factor the original rational expression

[tex]
\frac {a^2 - 2x -3}{x^2 - 4x + a} = \frac {(x-3)(x+1)} {(x-3)(x-1)} = \frac {x + 1}{ x -1}
[/tex]

However, there are two things that bug me to no end. First off the are two solutions listed, 3 and -5. I only found one of them, but I can't see where I went wrong and "missed" the second one?

The other thing is that I found my approach rather long winded, and I wondered if there was a better way to do this kind of problems?

Thanks for any feedback.

k

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kenewbie! :smile:
kenewbie said:
The other thing is that I found my approach rather long winded, and I wondered if there was a better way to do this kind of problems?

(I assume you mean [tex] \frac {x^2 - 2x -3}{x^2 - 4x + a} [/tex]) ?

erm … yes! :biggrin:

Two methods (basically the same):

i] Just use long division, first with (x - 3) and then with (x + 1).

The remainder will be a + something, which you want to be zero. :smile:

ii] You want 3 or 1 to be a root of the denominator, so just plug 3 or 1 into it, again you get the remainder!

I'm afraid I don't quite get what you mean. Can I bother you to type out examples how how you would do it?

k

ooh, I think I see why I missed the -5 solution.

I used [tex] 4 + R [/tex] instead of [tex] 4 \pm R[/tex], which would allow me to use the -6 as just 6, which would have come out with -5 as a root.

k

kenewbie said:
I'm afraid I don't quite get what you mean. Can I bother you to type out examples how how you would do it?

Well, for example, if you want x2 - 4x + a to be divisible by (x - b),

then b will be a root,

and so b2 - 4b + a must be zero ("Remainder Theorem"). :smile:

Aha. I haven't learned "polynomial long division" or "polynomial remainder theorem" yet, but I see they both have neat little articles on wikipedia, so I'll look into them.

Thanks

k

Related to Factoring "Puzzle": Find a for \frac {a^2 - 2x -3}{x^2 - 4x + a}

1. What is factoring and why is it important in mathematics?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts, or factors, that when multiplied together, result in the original expression. This is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify and solve complex equations, and it is a fundamental concept in algebra.

2. How can I determine the value of "a" in the given factoring puzzle?

To find the value of "a", we need to factor the given expression. By factoring the numerator and denominator separately, we can then set them equal to each other and solve for "a". This will give us the value of "a" that would make the expression true.

3. Can this factoring puzzle have multiple solutions?

Yes, this factoring puzzle can have multiple solutions. Since there are two variables and only one equation, there can be multiple values of "a" that would make the expression true. These solutions can be found by factoring the expression and solving for "a".

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of "a" in this factoring puzzle?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the values of "a" in this factoring puzzle. The denominator cannot equal 0, so the values of "a" that would make the denominator equal to 0 are not valid solutions. Additionally, there may be other restrictions depending on the context of the puzzle or the larger problem it is a part of.

5. How can factoring puzzles be applied in real-life situations?

Factoring puzzles can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in finance and economics, where we need to break down complex equations to analyze and solve problems. They can also be used in engineering and science to simplify and solve equations related to physical systems and phenomena. Additionally, factoring is a crucial skill in computer programming and cryptography, where we need to factor large numbers to ensure security and efficiency.