Factoring problem - is it an iteration or more obvious?

• Thread starter Sparky_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for factoring the polynomial 8-b^3, including using the difference of cubes formula and substituting b with 2a. The conversation also mentions the use of polynomial division and finding roots to factor polynomials.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

A part of a problem is to factor 8 - b^3

"8 minus b cubed"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that the problem is 2^3 - b^3.

I don't see the next step

I know the answer is (2-b)(4+2b+b^2).

but I can't get there.

Is this just trail and error dividing terms into the polynomial or is there a more obvious solution?

Thanks
Sparky_

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with polynomial division? (I'm assuming you want an answer better than 'use the difference of two cubes formula'.)

You would look for a value of b which solves the equation
8 - (b^3) = 0 , which gives b^3 = 8 and thus b = 2. The factors of a polynomials can be expressed as differences of the variable and the zeroes of the polynomials (are you familiar with this theorem?). So we now know that one factor of 8 - (b^3) is
(b - 2) . If you divide this factor into the original polynomial, you will get - ( 4 + 2b + b^2 ).

Last edited:
Sparky_ said:

Homework Statement

A part of a problem is to factor 8 - b^3

"8 minus b cubed"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that the problem is 2^3 - b^3.

I don't see the next step

I know the answer is (2-b)(4+2b+b^2).

but I can't get there.

Is this just trail and error dividing terms into the polynomial or is there a more obvious solution?

Thanks
Sparky_
(Intelligent) trial and error is pretty much the way you (try to) factor most polynomials (I say "try to" because, of course, most polynomials can't be factored using only integer coefficients).

The other way is to memorize some basic formulas. In particular, [itex]a^n- b^n= (a- b)(a^{n-1}+ a^{n-2}b+ a^{n-3}b^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a^2b^{n-3}+ ab^{n-2}+ b^{n-1})[/itex] is useful for this problem. It is also true that if n is odd then [itex]a^n+ b^n= (a+b)(a^{n-1}- ba^{n-2}+ b^2a^{n-3}- \cdot\cdot\cdot+a^2b^{n-3}- ab^{n-2}+ b^{n-1})[/itex].

Of course, if you don't require that the coefficients be integer, there is a sure-fire method of factoring any polynomial, p(x). First find all roots of the equation p(x)= 0, say [itex]x_1, x_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot , x_n[/itex] where n is the degree of the polynomial, including complex roots and counting the correct multiplicity for each root. Then, if the leading coefficient is a, [itex]p(x)= (x- x_1)(x- x_2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(x- x_{n-1})(x-x_n)[/itex]. Of course, that method is not terribly useful if you want to factor in order to solve the equation!

Sparky_ said:
… is there a more obvious solution?

Hi Sparky! :smile:

Substitute b = 2a.

Then you have 8(1 - a³).

Do you know how to factor 1 - a³ ? :smile:

Related to Factoring problem - is it an iteration or more obvious?

1. What is factoring and why is it important?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a number or expression into smaller factors. It is important in many areas of mathematics, including algebra and number theory, as it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations.

2. Is factoring considered an iteration or a more obvious problem?

Factoring can involve both iteration and more obvious techniques, depending on the complexity of the problem. In some cases, it may require multiple steps and iterations to find the factors, while in others the factors may be easily identified.

3. What are some common strategies for factoring?

Some common strategies for factoring include finding common factors, using the difference of squares formula, grouping terms, and factoring by trial and error. There are also more advanced techniques, such as the quadratic formula, that can be used for factoring.

4. How can factoring be used in real-life situations?

Factoring can be used in a variety of real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, determining the dimensions of a room or object, and solving problems in physics and engineering. It is also important in cryptography for breaking down large numbers into their prime factors.

5. Are there any tips for becoming better at factoring?

Practice and familiarity with different factoring techniques are key to becoming better at factoring. It is also helpful to memorize common formulas and patterns, and to approach each problem with a systematic and organized method.