Factoring polynomials-Can there be fractions?

In summary: So be very careful with what you're doing- trying to change the form of a factorized expression without proper justification can lead to some quite serious problems.
alingy1

Homework Statement

I want to factor polynomials. However, I want to know how it is possible to factor polynomials where the linear factors that result do not have integers but rather fractions.

Should we continue factoring if there are fractions, or do we have to stop?

Say we have this factorised form:

(x-0,155266)(x-0,3256)

Is it a factorised form? Or should we find add a parameter to make it integers, i.e.:
a(x-integer1)(x-integrer2)

I have been doing problems involving factoring and I don't get the concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pricipal used for factorising is

x2 - Sx + P.

where S = α+β
and P = α*β

Which only works handy for integers.
For the problem you posted is not easy to factorise. If you start factorising them using the above two equations.

So, what do you suggest, do i add a fraction at the beginning of the terms to make the linear factors integers?

If you have (x^2 - 4), you get two nice factors: (x - 2)*(x + 2) = (x^2 - 4)

If you have (x^2 - (9/4)), you get two slightly more complicated factors: (x - (3/2))*(x + (3/2))

What happens if you have (x^2 - 2)?

I think that if that number, integer or not makes the polynomial 0 then it is a factor .

alingy1 said:

Homework Statement

I want to factor polynomials. However, I want to know how it is possible to factor polynomials where the linear factors that result do not have integers but rather fractions.

(x-0,155266)(x-0,3256)

Is it a factorised form? Or should we find add a parameter to make it integers, i.e.:

Of course your polynomial above is in factored form! The factored form of a polynomial ##p(x)## is
[tex] p(x) = a(x-r_1)(x-r_2) \cdots (x-r_n)[/tex]
Here the numbers ##r_1, r_2, \ldots, r_n## are the roots (or zeros) of ##p(x)##. There is no requirement that they be integers or fractions, or even real numbers. (Note: some books may say differently, so always check your sources and use the definitions that go along with the course you are taking!)

The more difficult problem is: starting with the polynomial
[tex] p(x) = a_n x^n + a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1 x + a_0,[/tex]
find the factored form. That requires finding all the roots of ##p(x)##.

If the coefficients ##a_0, a_1, \ldots, a_n## are all integers, the question is: does ##p(x)## have rational roots, or not? The rational root theorem handles this question; it gives a finite procedure for deciding the question. If the rational root test passes it discovers/delivers a rational root (so at least one of the roots ##r_1, \ldots, r_n## is rational); if the test fails, none of the roots are rational, and finding even one of the roots may be difficult, possibly requiring numerical solution methods.

alingy1 said:

Homework Statement

(x-0,155266)(x-0,3256)

The question is "What is your purpose in factoring?". Often we factor a quadratic expression to solve the equation= 0. If so, the original form is ideal. As for including a "parameter" as a(x- integer1)(x- integer2) you cannot do that- that would no longer be the same expression. For example, if a quadratic factors as (x- 1/2)(x- 1/3) you seem to be thinking that you can take out the denoinators: (1/6)(x- 1)(x- 1) but that is NOT correct. What you would have would be (1/6)(2x- 1)(3x- 1).

Related to Factoring polynomials-Can there be fractions?

1. Can polynomials with fractions be factored?

Yes, polynomials with fractions can be factored. The process of factoring a polynomial with fractions is the same as factoring a polynomial without fractions. The only difference is that we need to take into account the fractions while finding the factors.

2. How do you factor polynomials with fractions?

To factor a polynomial with fractions, we first need to find the common denominator of all the fractions in the polynomial. Then, we can proceed with the usual factoring techniques, such as grouping or using the difference of squares formula.

3. Can we simplify fractions while factoring polynomials?

Yes, we can simplify fractions while factoring polynomials. This can make the process easier and the resulting factors simpler. However, it is not always necessary to simplify fractions while factoring.

4. What if the polynomial has both fractions and whole numbers?

If the polynomial has both fractions and whole numbers, we can first convert the whole numbers into fractions with a denominator of 1. Then, we can follow the same steps as factoring a polynomial with fractions only.

5. Are there any specific strategies for factoring polynomials with fractions?

There are no specific strategies for factoring polynomials with fractions. The strategies for factoring polynomials remain the same, but we need to take into account the fractions while finding the factors. It is important to simplify the fractions and find the common denominator before factoring.