Factoring POlynomials and finding Zeros

In summary, factoring is the process of breaking down a polynomial into its factors, or expressions that can be multiplied together to form the original polynomial. This involves finding the roots or solutions of the polynomial, which can then be used to write the polynomial in factored form. The degree of the polynomial determines the number of factors it will have, and the leading coefficient is multiplied to the factors to get the original polynomial. Factoring can be done over different sets of numbers, such as rational numbers and complex numbers, and the level of factoring depends on the type of numbers being used.
matt000
factoring=====================

1. 16x^3 - 54 This one, I've broken it to 2(2^3 x^3 - 3^2) but it's still wrong! I don't get how much further it can be broken down!
2. 3x^4 - 48 This one.. I've gotten far as 3x^2 (x^2 - 4x + 4) ! Still wrong.
=============================

Zeros... dang it I'm kinda embarrassed to even ask...

1. 9x^3 + 27x^2 = 4x - 12
I've put x = -3, but I know there's more. I don't know how to get more!

2. x^5 - 100x = 0
Dang it, I don't know the zero of this one >< !

THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the zeros, get x on one side of the equal side and zero on the other. Then solve for x. If you end up with x(Ax+b)=0 or something similar, for this equation to be zero, either x = 0 or Ax+b = 0. For these cases then, what can x be? This should be of help for number 2. For number one you need to factor a third order polynomial.

For the factoring, in number 1 you have a term containing the difference between two cubes, 8x^3-3^3, this can be factored further. There should be a formula you can follow in your text.In number 2, you have a quadratic,(x^2-4x-4) this can also be factored more.

Good Luck!

G01

3X^4-48 = 3(X^4-16)=3(X^2-4)(X^2+4)=3(X-2)(X+2)(X^2+4)

X^5-100X=0 -> X(X^4-100)=0 -> X=0 or (X^2-10)(X^2+10)=0 -> X = +- sqrt(10), X=+-i*sqrt(10)

Don't forget complex solutions.

How far you can factor it depends on what you're factoring over.

ie. x^2 - 5 cannot be factored over the rational numbers,
however, it can be factored as [tex](x-\sqrt{5})(x+\sqrt{5})[/tex]
Similarly, x^2 + 1 cannot be factored over the reals, but it can be factored as [tex](x-i)(x+i)[/tex]

Note: For x^2 - 3x - 4 = 0, the roots are 4 and -1
The factors are (x-4) and (x+1)
And, for 2x^2 - 3x + 1, the roots are 1 and 1/2
Two of the factors are (x-1) and (x - 1/2) Note: multiplying these doesn't quite give you the original
2x^2 - 3x + 1. However, if you were to multiply:
(2)(x-1)(x - 1/2), you'd get that polynomial.
Almost interestingly, you can distribute that 2 into the 3rd factor and write it as (x-1)(2x-1)

In short, if you can find the roots of a polynomial, then it can be factored as (leading coefficient)(x-root1)(x-root2)...(x-rootn), n being the degree of the polynomial.

Last edited:

Related to Factoring POlynomials and finding Zeros

1. What is factoring and why is it important in math?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts. It is important in math because it allows us to simplify complex equations and solve problems more efficiently.

2. How do you factor a polynomial with multiple terms?

To factor a polynomial with multiple terms, you need to look for common factors and use the distributive property. First, factor out any common factors from all the terms. Then, use the distributive property to group the remaining terms and factor them further if possible.

3. What are the different methods for factoring polynomials?

There are several methods for factoring polynomials, including finding common factors, using the difference of squares formula, using the quadratic formula, and using the AC method. The method you choose will depend on the type of polynomial you are factoring.

4. How do you find the zeros of a polynomial?

The zeros of a polynomial are the values of x that make the polynomial equal to zero. To find these values, set the polynomial equal to zero and solve for x using techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or graphing. These values are also known as the x-intercepts of the polynomial's graph.

5. What is the relationship between factoring and finding zeros?

Factoring and finding zeros are closely related because factoring a polynomial allows you to rewrite it as a product of linear factors, which can then be set equal to zero to find the zeros. In other words, the zeros of a polynomial are the roots of its factored form.