Exploring the Relationship Between Planet Weight, Speed, and Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of weight and mass in relation to planets. It is clarified that weight and mass are not the same thing, with mass being a measure of an object's resistance to changes in motion and weight being the gravitational force between two objects. It is also mentioned that the weight of a planet is not a significant factor for physicists and astronomers, as they primarily focus on the mass of a planet. The conversation also touches upon the role of gravity in space and the strength of gravity on astronauts in orbit.
chetan
[SOLVED] Weight of planets

Does the weight of planets depend upon the speed of the planet and gravity ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by chetan

Just to make it clear, are you asking what causes a planet to have its weight, what causes things on the planet to have weight, or how we measure the weight of a planet?

hello Lurch and chetan, this is a thought-provoking question.
let's assume that chetan is asking if the MASS of a planet depends on the speed the planet is travelling

there are gravitational interactions that abruptly boost the speed of planets----the "slingshot" interaction with Jupiter for example can suddenly increase the speed of a small planet or asteroid to the extent that it leaves the solar system! We are lucky to have Jupiter where it is because it has "cleaned out" the inner solar system of many comet nuclei and stuff that could hit us, exactly by this "slingshot" effect.

So, imagine you are on a planet that suddenly gains a lot of speed. Does gravity get stronger? Interesting. thanks chetan for the idea

Originally posted by marcus
hello Lurch and chetan, this is a thought-provoking question.
let's assume that chetan is asking if the MASS of a planet depends on the speed the planet is travelling

there are gravitational interactions that abruptly boost the speed of planets----the "slingshot" interaction with Jupiter for example can suddenly increase the speed of a small planet or asteroid to the extent that it leaves the solar system! We are lucky to have Jupiter where it is because it has "cleaned out" the inner solar system of many comet nuclei and stuff that could hit us, exactly by this "slingshot" effect.

So, imagine you are on a planet that suddenly gains a lot of speed. Does gravity get stronger? Interesting. thanks chetan for the idea
A change in the "speed" of a planet, defined as one in orbit, would only cause it to spiral inward if V is lost, or move outward from the parent body if V is gained. Too much +V could change the orbit, or sling it completely away from an orbit.

The planet's "weight" (mass/density) would not change, but it's potential energy would change in direct proportion to the change in V2. But, if the V approaches what would be called "relativistic velocity", it is a whole new ball game. The only objects I know of at relativistic V's are Neutron stars orbiting each other or orbiting a BH, there may be others (astronomical "bodies"), not meaning particles.

EDIT:
But, Marcus (getting real), you already know that and more.

Last edited:

Originally posted by LURCH
Just to make it clear, are you asking what causes a planet to have its weight, what causes things on the planet to have weight, or how we measure the weight of a planet?

How we measure the weight of a planet?

Click on the link I provided above.

How we measure the weight of a planet?
Maybe we need to get more basic. Weight and mass are not the same thing. Mass is defined as "A property of matter equal to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in either the speed or direction of its motion." Its essentially the quantity of matter in an object. (holding off on realtivity for the time being)

Weight is the gravitational force between two objects. Ie, I weigh 145 pound when placed on the Earth and the Earth weighs 145 pounds when placed on my feet. On the moon, I weigh about 22 pounds.

So you see, the "weight" of a planet is a concept without really any meaning. Physicists and astronomers only really concern themselves with the MASS of a planet.

So the answer to your question if you mean "how do we measure the mass of a plant?" is that you measure it from watching things orbit it.

Just an aside, I think some of those with more specific knowledge of physics (ie, knowing more than me) tend to look for a complicated answer in situations where it isn't warranted. This appears to me to be a basic question not needing any of the high end complexities that can be applied.

Last edited:

Originally posted by russ_watters
Just an aside, I think some of those with more specific knowledge of physics (ie, knowing more than me) tend to look for a complicated answer in situations where it isn't warranted. This appears to me to be a basic question not needing any of the high end complexities that can be applied. [/B]
Very good point we should all keep in mind.

just so no ones confused, mv^2/r=GmM/r^2...g is gravity but i thought there was no gravity in space?

Originally posted by hawaiidude
just so no ones confused, mv^2/r=GmM/r^2...g is gravity but i thought there was no gravity in space?
Sure there is. Its everywhere, even "deep-space" between galaxies, but there it would be very weak and would be "tugging" you from very many directions, seemingly randon.

Labguy

Originally posted by hawaiidude
In the classical sense, space itself doesn't have "gravity" - gravity is a force between two bodies with mass (as the equation says). So that means ANY two bodies with mass ANYWHERE have a calculable gravitational attraction between them.

You are probably thinking about astronauts in orbit. In orbit, they still have a gravitational attraction to Earth and its only slightly lower than on the surface (a couple of percent). They just don't feel it because they are in freefall.

Last edited:

1. How does the weight of a planet affect its speed?

The weight of a planet has a direct impact on its speed. According to Newton's second law of motion, the greater the mass (or weight) of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. In the case of planets, this means that the more massive a planet is, the higher its speed will need to be in order to maintain a stable orbit.

2. Is there a correlation between a planet's gravity and its weight?

Yes, there is a strong correlation between a planet's gravity and its weight. Gravity is the force that attracts objects towards each other, and the strength of this force is directly related to the mass (or weight) of the objects. Therefore, the more massive a planet is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

3. Can a planet's speed change without affecting its weight?

Yes, a planet's speed can change without affecting its weight. This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving. These are two separate factors that can change independently of each other.

4. How does the distance from a planet's center affect its weight?

The distance from a planet's center has a direct effect on its weight. As the distance from the planet's center increases, the gravitational force acting on an object decreases. This means that objects on the surface of a planet will have a greater weight than those at a greater distance from the center.

5. Can a planet's speed affect its weight?

No, a planet's speed does not affect its weight. As mentioned earlier, weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving. These are two separate factors that are not directly related to each other.