Factoring Algebraic Expression

In summary, the expression 30(a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2)+68ab-75ac-156ad-61bc-100bd+87cd can be factored as (3a+5b)(5a+3b)(2c+5d)(5c+2d). This can be done by grouping terms and then solving for variables and substituting back into the original expression. The final factored form is 2(5a+3b)(3a+5b)(5c+2d)(2c+5d).
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Factor the expression

\(\displaystyle 30(a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2)+68ab-75ac-156ad-61bc-100bd+87cd\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Factor the expression

\(\displaystyle 30(a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2)+68ab-75ac-156ad-61bc-100bd+87cd\)

Since all combinations are present, factorization can likely be done as
$$(Aa+Bb+Cc+Dd)(\alpha a + \beta b + \gamma c + \delta d)$$

From the coefficients of the squares we can conclude that:
$$
\alpha=\frac {30} A, \beta=\frac {30} B, \gamma=\frac {30} C, \delta=\frac {30} D
$$
Let's pick $-61bc$ to evaluate.

We get:
$$\begin{array}{l}
B\gamma + C\beta=-61 \\
B \frac{30}C + C\frac{30}B=-61 \\
B=-\frac 5 6 C \vee B=-\frac 6 5 C
\end{array}$$
Since we have a free choice for what goes left and what goes right, and we also have a free choice how to divide the constant 30, we can choose:
$$B = 5 \wedge C = -6$$
Repeating for the coefficients of $ab$, $ac$, and $ad$, we find:
$$A=3 \wedge (D=-15 \vee D=-\frac 3 5)$$
Verification shows that only $D=-15$ fits, which gives indeed a solution.

In other words, the expression factorizes as:
$$(3a+5b-6c-15d)(10a+6b-5c-2d) \qquad \blacksquare$$

I might do it somewhat different. First I would group some of the terms as follows

$30a^2+68ab+30b^2$ and $30c^2+87cd+30d^2$

and factor each of these separately. This gives

$2(3a+5b)(5a+3b)$ and $3(2c+5d)(5c+2d)$.

Then let $3a+5b = u$, $5a+3b = v$, $2c+5d = p$, and $5c+2d=q$.

Solve for $a, b, c$ and $d$ and substitute into the entire expression giving

$ 2 v u + 3 q p - 6 v p - u q$

and factor this.

Hi I like Serena and Jester,

Thanks for participating to this challenge problem and my solution is quite similar to I like Serena's approach and I'll post my solution here later today.
anemone

Where is the complete solution to this problem?
Anyone?

Last edited:

Related to Factoring Algebraic Expression

1. What is factoring in algebraic expressions?

Factoring in algebraic expressions is the process of breaking down a polynomial into simpler terms. This involves finding the common factors among the terms and factoring them out to make the expression easier to work with.

2. Why is factoring important in algebra?

Factoring is important in algebra because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships among terms, which can be useful in solving more advanced problems.

3. How do you factor algebraic expressions?

The first step in factoring an algebraic expression is to look for common factors among the terms. Then, use the distributive property to factor out the common factor. Finally, check if the remaining terms can be factored further using methods such as grouping or the difference of squares.

4. Can all algebraic expressions be factored?

No, not all algebraic expressions can be factored. Some expressions may not have any common factors or may not have any factors that can be factored out using traditional methods. In these cases, we can use other techniques such as the quadratic formula to solve the expression.

5. How is factoring used in real life?

Factoring is used in various fields, such as finance, engineering, and physics. In finance, factoring is used to solve equations involving interest rates and compound interest. In engineering, factoring is used to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. In physics, factoring is used to analyze and solve equations related to motion and forces.