Factoring a third degree polynomial as part of a limits problem

In summary, I was trying to divide x^3-2x^2+2x-15 by x^2+2x without getting a remainder, but if I divide again I get 1. However, 1•-3 does not equal -15 so I get a remainder of 12.
EcKoh

Homework Statement

I have a limit problem, however I do know how to work limits, I guess what I need is more of a refresher on how to work third degree polynomials. The polynomial(s) I am trying to work with are the following:

x3-2x2+2x-15
-and-
x3-5x2+10x-12

The limit is a limit where x approaches 3, so I believe that it is correct to assume that 3 is the rational root that we use in this case. However, my attempts haven't come up with a correct solution. I am just wondering where I have gone wrong and what I need to do to reach the correct answer.

2. The attempt at a solution

x3-2x2+2x-15
x3-2x2+2x-15 ÷ x+3

First, I divide to get x2, then multiply x-3 by this to reach x3-3x2
Then I bring down 2x to get x2+2s
Next I divide again to get x, then multiply x-3 again to reach x2-3x
Finally I bring down -15 to get x-15. However if I divide again I get 1, but 1•-3 does not equal -15 so I get a remainder of 12.

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
EcKoh said:

Homework Statement

I have a limit problem, however I do know how to work limits, I guess what I need is more of a refresher on how to work third degree polynomials. The polynomial(s) I am trying to work with are the following:

x3-2x2+2x-15
-and-
x3-5x2+10x-12

The limit is a limit where x approaches 3, so I believe that it is correct to assume that 3 is the rational root that we use in this case. However, my attempts haven't come up with a correct solution. I am just wondering where I have gone wrong and what I need to do to reach the correct answer.

2. The attempt at a solution

x3-2x2+2x-15
x3-2x2+2x-15 ÷ x+3

Finally I bring down -15 to get x-15. However if I divide again I get 1, but 1•-3 does not equal -15 so I get a remainder of 12.

A root x = 3 corresponds to a factor of (x-3). Try that.

Last edited:
EcKoh said:

When you subtracted [itex]x^2-3x[/itex] from [itex]x^2+2x[/itex], you made a sign error.

If you can't get a hold on what <polynomial long division> means, then try this thing

[tex] x^3 - 2x^2 + 2x -15 = (x-3) (Ax^2 + Bx + C) [/tex]

No matter what value of x. Then try x=0, x=1, x=-1...

edit - never mind

Thanks to all of you. I realize now what my errors were.

Related to Factoring a third degree polynomial as part of a limits problem

1. What is a third degree polynomial?

A third degree polynomial is a polynomial with a highest degree of 3. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

2. Why is factoring a third degree polynomial important in limits problems?

Factoring a third degree polynomial allows us to simplify the expression and make it easier to evaluate the limit. It also helps us identify any potential holes or asymptotes in the function.

3. What is the process for factoring a third degree polynomial?

The process for factoring a third degree polynomial involves looking for common factors, using the quadratic formula, and then simplifying the remaining expression into linear factors.

4. Can all third degree polynomials be factored?

No, not all third degree polynomials can be factored. Some may have complex roots or may be prime polynomials that cannot be factored further.

5. How does factoring a third degree polynomial affect the overall limit of the function?

Factoring a third degree polynomial does not change the overall limit of the function. It simply rearranges the expression to make it easier to evaluate the limit.