Factoring a 4th degree polynomial

In summary, the equation has two roots, one of which is negative and the other is positive. The negative root is found by reversing the rational root theorem, while the positive root is found by using the fact that the polynomial has a positive real root when t is large and positive.
mbrmbrg
I have the equation

[tex] f''(t) = 0 =\frac{\ -6t-4t^4+2t^5}{(1+2t)^4} [/tex]

which I factored to

[tex] 0 =\frac{ (2t)(-3-2t^3+t^4)}{(1+2t)^4} [/tex]

and set

[tex] 2t = 0 [/tex] or [tex] t^4-2t^3-3 = 0 [/tex]

How am I supposed to factor the second possibility for t? Using guess-and-check () with 0, 1, and -1, I found that t is probably a fraction between -1 and 1. And now I'm stuck for real, because no way am I guess-and-checking random fractions.

Help, please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, having latex trouble.

My second step should read 0=[(2t)(-3 - 2t^3 +t^4)]/(1+t^2)^4
but I don't think it does, and I can't figure out how to fix the code.
I'm blaming my computer display

All rational roots can be found by the rational root theorem, you don't have to check many:

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/RationalRootTheorem.html

In any case, when you tried to put in t=-1, you should have gotten 0, no? So you can reduce it to a cubic at least.

hmm, [tex] 0 =\frac{\ (2t)(-3-2t^3+t^4)}{(1+2t)^4} [/tex]

odd, it's a cut and paste from yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
The latex doesn't work because you have an extra \ after \frac{

Last edited:
Ouch. Another good reason not to guess-and-check: my algebra tends to be better than my arithmetic. Oh, ouch.

Ummm, I looked at the rational root theorem, but I don't know if I'm using it right.
Does it say I have some root p/q, where my first coefficient (here 1) is divisible by p and my last coefficient (here -3) is divisible by q? So my answer is -1/3??
OK, apparently not, because that doesn't give me zero.

In either case, it looks like any root will require t to be negative, and in this case, t is time...

But now I'm curious how this rational root theorem works.

The rational root theorem:

Any rational root of a polynomial will be in the form p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term, and q is a factor of the leading coefficient (so in this case, p is +/-3, 1, and q is +/-1).

So your best bets would be to check 3, -3, 1, and -1

0rthodontist said:
The latex doesn't work because you have an extra \ after \frac{

That should just put a space in though? I don't think I changed anything in my cut and paste. Not important though.

mbrmbrg, you have the rational root theorem reversed, if p/q is a root then q divides your lead coefficient, here a 1, and p divides your constant coefficient, here -3. So you must have q=+ or -1 (so any rational root must also be an integer), and p=+/- 1 or 3. So to find all rational roots, just stick -1, 1, -3, and 3 into your equation. These are not guaranteed to be roots, but any rational root *must* be one of these.

You must have a positive real roots though. You polynomial is -3 at t=0 and greater than 0 when t is large and positive, so there's at least one root in there somewhere.

OK, got it now--thanks people!

Related to Factoring a 4th degree polynomial

1. What is factoring a 4th degree polynomial?

Factoring a 4th degree polynomial means finding the expressions that can be multiplied together to get the original polynomial. It is a method used to simplify and solve polynomial equations.

2. Why is it important to factor a 4th degree polynomial?

Factoring a 4th degree polynomial is important because it helps in solving polynomial equations and finding the roots of the polynomial. It also helps in simplifying complex expressions and determining the behavior of the polynomial function.

3. How do you factor a 4th degree polynomial?

To factor a 4th degree polynomial, you can use the grouping method, the difference of squares method, or the decomposition method. The grouping method involves grouping terms with common factors, while the difference of squares method involves factoring out perfect square terms. The decomposition method involves breaking down the polynomial into simpler factors.

4. Can all 4th degree polynomials be factored?

No, not all 4th degree polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials may have complex roots or no rational roots, making it impossible to factor them into simpler expressions. However, most 4th degree polynomials can be factored using one of the mentioned methods.

5. What is the difference between factoring and solving a 4th degree polynomial?

Factoring a 4th degree polynomial means breaking it down into simpler expressions, while solving a 4th degree polynomial means finding the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. Factoring is a method used to solve a polynomial equation, but it is not the only method. Other methods such as the quadratic formula can also be used to solve a 4th degree polynomial.