Factoring 4th degree polynomial.

In summary, factoring a 4th degree polynomial involves finding common factors, using the grouping method, and solving for remaining factors with the quadratic formula. Not all 4th degree polynomials can be factored, and there is no specific shortcut or trick for factoring them. To check if a factoring is correct, you can multiply the factored form and simplify it back to the original polynomial. Factoring 4th degree polynomials has real-world applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.
paulmdrdo1
$\displaystyle x^4+2x^3-8x^2+18x+9$

this is what i tried,

$x^4+2x^3-8x^2 = (x^2+4x)(x^2-2x)$

then,

$a(x^2+4x)+b(x^2-2x)=18x$

where ab=9

did i set up my solution correctly? can you tell me where I'm wrong.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't find a nice factorization for this quartic polynomial. Are you sure it is given correctly?

paulmdrdo said:

this is what i tried,

I am pretty sure that MarkFL is correct and that you have copied the question wrongly. My guess is that the $+\:9$ at the end should be $-\:9$. If so, then your partial factorisation $x^4+2x^3-8x^2 = (x^2+4x)(x^2-2x)$ is a very good step in the right direction. All you have to do is to add a constant to each factor: $x^4+2x^3-8x^2 + 18x +9 = (x^2+4x\: +\: ??)(x^2-2x\: + \: ??).$

paulmdrdo said:

this is what i tried,

then,

$a(x^2+4x)+b(x^2-2x)=18x$

where ab=9

did i set up my solution correctly? can you tell me where I'm wrong.

If it was [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} x^4 + 2x^3 + 8x^2 + 18x - 9 \end{align*}[/tex] it would factorise nicely by grouping. Are you sure that's not what it should be?

Indeed, the polynomial cannot be factored in Z[x]. Unless you clarify, there is going to be a lot of trouble identifying the typo. Here's a hint of what I am talking about :

You give the quartic polynomial (1, 2, -8, 18, 9) which is provably irreducible over Z[x]. The factorizable polynomials can be found by "tweaking" the coefficients a bit, i.e., (1, 2, -8, 18, -9), (1, 2, 8, 18, -9), (1, 2, -8, -18, -9), (1, -2, -8, -18, -9), (1, -2, -8, 18, -9), (1, -2, 8, -18, -9), etc are all provably splittable over Z[x], and I've barely covered the signing problems :eek:

\(\displaystyle \beta \alpha \lambda \alpha \rho \kappa \alpha\)

PS : When did I start signing like chisigma? :confused:

mathbalarka said:
Indeed, the polynomial cannot be factored in Z[x]. Unless you clarify, there is going to be a lot of trouble identifying the typo. Here's a hint of what I am talking about :

You give the quartic polynomial (1, 2, -8, 18, 9) which is provably irreducible over Z[x]. The factorizable polynomials can be found by "tweaking" the coefficients a bit, i.e., (1, 2, -8, 18, -9), (1, 2, 8, 18, -9), (1, 2, -8, -18, -9), (1, -2, -8, -18, -9), (1, -2, -8, 18, -9), (1, -2, 8, -18, -9), etc are all provably splittable over Z[x], and I've barely covered the signing problems :eek:

\(\displaystyle \beta \alpha \lambda \alpha \rho \kappa \alpha\)

PS : When did I start signing like chisigma? :confused:

Greetings and salutations my friend, Just as a note , and i realize Greek is not your native language , pronounced in Greek we would say valarka , there is no single letter in Greek that has a B (bee) sound , the beta is actually called 'vee - ta' and is pronounced exactly like English 'v', to get the 'B' sound a Greek would have to use two letters and write mu - pi , like this...

\(\displaystyle \mu \pi \alpha \lambda \alpha \rho \kappa \alpha \)

The only reason i know this is because I'm part Greek.

:)

Hello, paulmdrdo!

Could the polynomial be: .[tex]x^4 + 2x^3 - 8x^2 \,{\color{red}-}\,18x \,{\color{red}-}\,9\,?[/tex]

If so, there is a "nice" factorization.

[tex]x^4 + 2x^3 - 8x^2 - 18x - 9[/tex]

. . [tex]=\;x^4 + 2x^3 + x^2 - 9x^2 - 18x - 9[/tex]

. . [tex]=\; x^2(x^2+2x+1) - 9(x^2 + 2x + 1)[/tex]

. . [tex]=\;(x^2+2x+1)(x^2-9)[/tex]

. . [tex]=\;(x+1)^2(x-3)(x+3)[/tex]

Related to Factoring 4th degree polynomial.

1. What is the process for factoring a 4th degree polynomial?

The process for factoring a 4th degree polynomial involves finding the common factors, using the grouping method, and then using the quadratic formula to solve for the remaining factors.

2. Can all 4th degree polynomials be factored?

Not all 4th degree polynomials can be factored. Some may have complex or irrational roots, making it impossible to factor them into linear factors.

3. Is there a shortcut or trick to factoring 4th degree polynomials?

There is no specific shortcut or trick to factoring 4th degree polynomials. However, understanding the different methods and strategies for factoring can make the process easier and more efficient.

4. How do I know if I factored a 4th degree polynomial correctly?

You can check if a 4th degree polynomial is factored correctly by multiplying the factored form and simplifying it back to its original polynomial. If they are equal, then the factoring is correct.

5. Are there any real-world applications of factoring 4th degree polynomials?

Yes, factoring 4th degree polynomials is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve complex equations and model real-world situations.