Factor Groups: Conjugation & 2 Conjugates

• Thread starter Ala'
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, factor groups allow for an action on normal and abelian subgroups through conjugation. An element in a group has just two conjugates if gxg-1 has only two possible values, regardless of the value of g. This is demonstrated in the example of the group Q, where the element i has only two conjugates, i and -i.
Ala'
Factor groups!

Please I just want to ask about factor groups.. how could a factor group G/A acts on A by conjugation, knowing that A is a normal & abelian subgroup of G..

and what do we mean when we say that an element in a group has jus 2 conjugates??

thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org

the only possible way that makes sense is to define:

(gA)(a) = gag-1. note that gag-1 is in A, since A is normal.

however, we have to check that:

if g'A = gA, then g'ag'-1 = gag-1

(that is, that our action is well-defined).

now if g'A = gA, g' = ga' for some a' in A. thus:

g'ag'-1 = (ga')a(ga')-1

= ga'aa'-1g-1

but since A is assumed abelian, aa'-1 = a'-1a, so:

ga'aa'-1g-1 = ga'a'-1ag-1

= geag-1 = gag-1, which was to be proven.

to say an element x has just two conjugates, means that gxg-1 has just two possible values (one of which is obviously x), no matter what g is.

for example, consider the group Q = {1,-1,i,-i,j,-j,k,-k} under quaternial multiplication.

(i2 = j2 = k2 = -1, ij = k, jk = i, ki = j, and
ji = -k, kj = -i, ik = -j)

(1)(i)(1) = i
(-1)(i)(-1) = i
(i)(i)(-i) = i
(-i)(i)(i) = i
(j)(i)(-j) = (-k)(-j) = kj = -i
(-j)(i)(j) = (-j)k = -i
(k)(i)(-k) = j(-k) = -i
(-k)(i)(k) = (-k)(-j) = kj = -i

the only conjugates i has is i, and -i.

Last edited:

Thank you very much for your clear answer, it was really very useful for me :)

Related to Factor Groups: Conjugation & 2 Conjugates

1. What is a factor group?

A factor group, also known as a quotient group, is a mathematical concept used in group theory. It is formed by dividing a group into smaller subgroups based on a specific property or relationship between its elements.

2. How does conjugation work in factor groups?

In factor groups, conjugation is a method for transforming elements by multiplying them on the left and right by the same element. This operation preserves the structure and properties of the original group and allows for easier analysis and comparison between elements.

3. What are the two types of conjugates in factor groups?

The two types of conjugates in factor groups are inner conjugates and outer conjugates. Inner conjugates are formed by elements within the group, while outer conjugates are formed by elements outside of the group.

4. Why are factor groups important in mathematics?

Factor groups play a crucial role in abstract algebra and group theory, as they provide a way to break down and analyze complex groups. They also have applications in other fields such as physics and cryptography.

5. Can factor groups have different properties than the original group?

Yes, factor groups can have different properties than the original group. This is because the factor group only considers a specific subgroup of the original group, which may have different properties or relationships between its elements.