F1inSchool Challenge: Design a CO2-Powered F1 Car

• Thread starter ray_crimsonhe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, a student is seeking advice on designing a F1 car for the F1inschool challenge. They are unsure whether to increase downforce or decrease weight, and are seeking help as they are new to F1 car design principles. It may be beneficial to research past designs and consider the specific rules of the competition before making a decision.
ray_crimsonhe
Hello this is my first time here. I would like to ask some question regarding the competition that my schoool is going to enter. It is called the F1inschool challenge. We are asked to design a F1 car powered by a CO2 cannister. I am having a dilemma here on wheter to increase down force or decreasing the weight. As far as I know, the track would be a straight line. I am new in all the concepts and principles regarding F1 car. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
If your car is not turning, then why increase downforce?

edit: If anything, if you increased lift rather, then you could decrease rolling and sliding friction.

Welcome to the forum! The F1inschool challenge sounds like an exciting competition. As for your dilemma, it really depends on the specific rules and requirements of the competition. If the track is a straight line, then increasing downforce may not be as important as reducing weight for speed. However, it's always a balance and you may want to consider both factors in your design. You can also do some research on F1 car design principles and see what other teams have done in similar competitions. Good luck!

Related to F1inSchool Challenge: Design a CO2-Powered F1 Car

1. What is the F1inSchool Challenge?

The F1inSchool Challenge is an international STEM competition where students design, build, and race miniature CO2-powered F1 cars. It aims to promote interest and understanding in engineering, technology, and sustainability.

2. How does the CO2-powered F1 car work?

The CO2-powered F1 car works by using compressed carbon dioxide gas to propel the car forward. The gas is stored in a pressure chamber and is released when a trigger mechanism is activated, pushing the car forward with a burst of energy.

3. What materials are allowed for the design of the car?

The F1inSchool Challenge has strict guidelines on the materials that can be used for the car. The body of the car must be made of balsa wood, and the wheels can only be made of plastic or aluminum. Other materials such as rubber bands, axles, and bearings are also allowed.

4. How are the cars judged in the competition?

The cars are judged on several criteria, including speed, design, and innovation. The speed is measured by timing the car as it races down a 20-meter track. The design is evaluated based on the aesthetics and aerodynamics of the car. Innovation is assessed by the use of advanced technology and unique design features.

5. Do students work individually or in teams for the F1inSchool Challenge?

The F1inSchool Challenge encourages teamwork and collaboration. Students work in teams of 3-6 members, with each team member having a specific role, such as design, manufacturing, or marketing. This promotes teamwork and allows students to learn from each other's strengths and skills.