My Mobile Hurts my fingers hands then whole arm

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm Mobile
In summary, the mobile phone may be causing pain in the hands and then the whole arm. The person's doctor was dismissive of the person's concerns and said they could stop using the phone if they wanted to.
quddusaliquddus
My Mobile Hurts my fingers ... hands .. then whole arm!

Hi,
My mobile went messed up for sum reason and i have stopped using it now. It used to make my fibgers hurt...it got worse and worse until it made my fingers numb in a matter of minutes if i used it. Thne it hurt my whole arm one day and i stopped using it. Now, my doctor was totally dismissive - the chekout he done was my pulse! He was saying that 'there have been reports, so far its not proven'. I thought to myself ... i am in pain and he says i can't prove it! ... then i pulled myself outta that philosophical state of mind and repeated my problems. he just told me i can stop using it if want to. Can i have cancer? I am very scared - any sensible comments wil be v.much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

ps
no-one belived me until i made them actually hold it and feel a tingly sensation!

Biology news on Phys.org
If other people felt the same thing when holding it, then it's probably a short in it somewhere giving you a light shock when you hold it. Sounds like time for a new one (or to return it for a replacement if it's fairly new).

If nobody else feels the same thing, if you hold your arms out in front of you and raise your hands palm outward (as if telling someone to stop), do you feel the same thing? If so, it could be carpal tunnel syndrome and holding the phone just puts your hand in a position that you notice it more.

Thank you soo much for that. Luckily its not carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm worried about possbile effects it may have had already :(
Thanks again!

Are you talking about just holding the phone to your head? Or are you talking about typing text messages on it? Or what?

- Warren

The mind is a powerful thing, maybe something sparked the fear and the mind took over. Concentrating a lot on the arm fearing something is going on, definitely can make it feel weird. Maybe it is something like RSI, due to which holding your arm in an odd position makes it feel weird, I'm just guessing. Did you try using another person's mobile to see if you get the same symptoms?

Jus holding it in my hand. I now n again got back to it after i'd stopped using it cos its easier to type text on it - my finger tips went numb writing a quik text!

Im currently using a different phone-its fine.

Trust me ... took a Lot of time before i actually believed in it myself ... my brother or for that matter any1 else ... didnt believe in it. Wen my whole arm was affected I realized that this has gone too far ... no more denial. The mind might be a powerful thing - I don't think I have the power to make others feel pain :D

What causes pain in my fingers, hands, and arm when using my mobile device?

There are several potential causes of pain when using a mobile device, including repetitive movements, awkward positioning, and overuse. These can lead to strain and inflammation in the muscles, tendons, and nerves in the fingers, hands, and arm.

How can I prevent or alleviate the pain caused by using my mobile device?

One way to prevent or alleviate the pain is to take breaks and limit the amount of time spent using the device. It's also important to maintain good posture and use ergonomic accessories, such as a phone stand or a stylus, to reduce strain on the fingers and hands. Stretching and exercising the fingers and hands can also help improve mobility and reduce pain.

Is there a specific condition or injury associated with using mobile devices?

There is no specific condition or injury that is exclusively caused by using mobile devices. However, the repetitive movements and awkward positioning associated with prolonged use can lead to conditions such as tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and trigger finger.

Can using a mobile device cause long-term damage to my fingers, hands, or arm?

While there is no evidence that using a mobile device can cause permanent damage to the fingers, hands, or arm, it is important to take breaks and limit the amount of time spent using the device to prevent strain and overuse injuries. If the pain persists, it is recommended to consult a healthcare professional for further evaluation and treatment.

Are there any ergonomic tips for using my mobile device to prevent pain?

Some ergonomic tips for using a mobile device include holding it at eye level, using a stylus or voice recognition software to reduce strain on the fingers, and taking frequent breaks to stretch and rest the fingers and hands. It's also important to maintain good posture and use ergonomic accessories, such as a phone stand or keyboard, when possible.