Inverse Square Law: An Example

In summary, both the force of gravity and the electric force in Coulomb's Law follow an inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the force decreases as the distance between the objects increases. The force of gravity is experienced by all objects and is responsible for keeping them in orbit, while the electric force is experienced through static electricity.
Inquiring_Mike
This question came up in my textbook : Describe an example of a force you have experienced that follows the inverse square law. I couldn't think of any that I have "experienced", since I don't think that I have "experienced" the force of gravity that shows it is a inverse relationship.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh, it's just wording. They didn't ask for you to have experienced an inverse square law, they asked for a force that you have experienced, that follows an inverse square law. Gravity is a force that you have experienced, that follows an inverse square law.

The electric force in Coulomb's Law also adheres to the inverse square law and is one that you've experienced if you've ever been shocked (i.e. static electricity).

[tex]\vec{F}_{21}=k\frac{Q_{1}Q_{2}}{r^2} \hat{r}_{21} [/tex]

1. What is the Inverse Square Law?

The Inverse Square Law is a physical principle that describes the relationship between the intensity of a physical quantity and the distance from its source. It states that the intensity of a physical quantity decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from its source.

2. What is an example of the Inverse Square Law?

A common example of the Inverse Square Law is the intensity of light from a point source, such as a light bulb. As you move further away from the source, the intensity of the light decreases in accordance with the Inverse Square Law.

3. How does the Inverse Square Law apply to other physical quantities?

The Inverse Square Law can be applied to other physical quantities, such as gravitational force and electric force. For example, the force of attraction between two masses or two charged particles decreases in proportion to the square of the distance between them.

4. What is the mathematical equation for the Inverse Square Law?

The mathematical equation for the Inverse Square Law is I = k/d², where I is the intensity of the physical quantity, d is the distance from the source, and k is a constant.

5. How does the Inverse Square Law affect the behavior of physical quantities?

The Inverse Square Law dictates that the intensity of a physical quantity decreases as the distance from its source increases. This means that the behavior of physical quantities, such as light or force, changes depending on their distance from their source.