Word: Hide Blank Line at Top of Page?

• Thread starter Chen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of blank lines appearing at the top of a page in a paper and how to hide them in Microsoft Word. The solution is to select the paragraphs, go to Format, and adjust the spacing after option. The conversation concludes with the original poster stating they found the solution and requesting for the post to be deleted.
Chen
Let's say I write a paper with many paragraphs that expand over multiple pages, and the paragraphs are separated with a blank line between them, i.e:

blablablablablablablabla
blablablablablabla.

blablablablablablablabla
blablablabla.

Now, if that blank line happens to fall right between two pages, the second page will have the blank line at the top, so that the text starts a few centimeters below the text on other pages. Is it possible to tell word to "hide" this kind of blank lines, that come at the beginning of pages? I could remove the line myself, but then what if I change the page layout and those two paragraps appear in the middle of the page? There will be no separation between them.

Thanks,

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well I found the answer myself... select the paragraphs -> Format -> Paragraph... -> Spacing after. So if a mentor could please delete this. :smile:

I'll keep it here just incase anyone else has the same problem

1. How do I hide a blank line at the top of the page in Microsoft Word?

To hide a blank line at the top of the page in Microsoft Word, you can adjust the page margins. Click on the Page Layout tab, then click on Margins. Choose "Custom Margins" and under the "Margins" tab, change the Top margin to 0.

2. Why is there a blank line at the top of my Word document?

A blank line at the top of a Word document can be caused by different formatting settings, such as a large top margin or an extra paragraph break. It may also be a result of a template or style being applied to the document. Adjusting the page margins or removing any extra paragraph breaks can help eliminate the blank line.

3. Can I hide a blank line at the top of a specific page in Word?

Yes, you can hide a blank line at the top of a specific page in Word by inserting a section break. Place your cursor at the end of the previous page and go to the Page Layout tab. Click on Breaks and choose "Next Page" under the "Section Breaks" section. This will create a new section and allow you to adjust the page margins for that specific page.

4. How do I remove a blank line at the top of every page in my Word document?

To remove a blank line at the top of every page in a Word document, you can use the "Different First Page" option. Go to the Page Layout tab, click on the Page Setup dialog box launcher, and under the Layout tab, check the box next to "Different first page." This will allow you to have a different header or top margin on the first page of your document, effectively removing the blank line.

5. Is there a way to automatically hide blank lines at the top of pages in Word?

Yes, you can automatically hide blank lines at the top of pages in Word by creating a custom style. Go to the Home tab, click on the Styles dialog box launcher, and click on the "New Style" button. Name your style and under the "Format" section, click on "Paragraph." In the "Indents and Spacing" tab, set the "Before" spacing to 0. Save your style and apply it to the document to automatically hide blank lines at the top of each page.