F=BIL Relationship with coils Explanation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a piece of coursework investigating F=BIL and electromagnets. The speaker has been using the motor effect to create a downwards force and has varied the current and number of turns to collect data. They expect to see an increase in force with current and number of turns, but are unsure of the role of B in the equation when adding turns to the coil. They are also plotting F/L against 1/I and questioning the expected shape of the graph. The expert advises that B should stay constant unless the permanent magnet's magnetism is changed by the current, which would cause the ratio of F/IL to rise.
Kognito

Homework Statement

There's no specific problem here so I'd say this template doesn't specifically apply. I'm doing a piece of coursework investigating F=BIL and electromagnets and I'm having some trouble. I think the issue here is the data that I've collected so bear with me.

I've been making use of the motor effect (as per: http://bit.ly/YNEZVh) to create a downwards force that I can measure with a balance underneath the magnet. The magnetic field from the horseshoe magnet there has been the same throughout, I've simply varied current up and down to give several readings. My other variable has been to coil the wire that the current flows through with several quantities of turns, giving me a number of sets of data.

What I'd expect to see is that the downwards force that is created should increase with current, which it does, and it should increase with the number of turns, which it does. What I don't understand however is what B does in the equation when I'm adding turns to the coil?

For Force to increase whilst L is increasing (assuming I stays constant), does B stay constant?

Homework Equations

F=BILThanks in advance

EDIT: I should also add, I'm plotting 1/I against F/L to give a value for B. What shape would you expect this to give with a simple varied current to create the force, all other variables remain constant? I've ended up with a downwards curve trending towards zero on both axes, does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you plotting F/L against 1/I? B = F/IL so you should plot F/L against I to see if that ratio remains constant over changes in I and L.

B should stay constant unless your permanent magnet's magnetism is changed by application of I. If that happens, B would and therefore F/IL should rise somewhat with I and/or L.

Related to F=BIL Relationship with coils Explanation?

1. How is the F=BIL relationship derived?

The F=BIL relationship is derived from the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field is equal to the product of the charge, velocity, and magnetic field strength. By applying this law to a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field, we can derive the F=BIL relationship.

2. What does each variable in the F=BIL equation represent?

In the F=BIL equation, F represents the force on the wire, B represents the magnetic field strength, I represents the current in the wire, and L represents the length of the wire in the magnetic field.

3. How does the F=BIL relationship apply to coils?

The F=BIL relationship can be applied to coils by considering the total length of wire in the coil and the total current passing through the coil. By multiplying the length and current by the number of turns in the coil, we can calculate the force on the entire coil in a magnetic field.

4. What is the significance of the direction of the force in the F=BIL equation?

The direction of the force in the F=BIL equation is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current in the wire, and your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then your palm will face in the direction of the force on the wire.

5. How does the F=BIL relationship explain the behavior of electric motors and generators?

The F=BIL relationship is essential in understanding the operation of electric motors and generators. In motors, the force on the wire in the magnetic field causes the wire to move, creating rotational motion. In generators, the opposite effect occurs, as the rotational motion of the coil in the magnetic field creates a force on the wire, generating electricity.