What Is the Correct Prescription Power for Hyperopia to Read at 56.3 cm?

• Thread starter blue_lilly
  • Start date
In summary: Because if that is the case, the image would be located behind the lens and that would not allow for clear vision. It is more likely that d_i>0 and the lens is being used to correct for hyperopia, making the image distance positive.In summary, the purpose of glasses for hyperopia is to correct vision for close objects. The refractive power of the prescription would be -1.77619 diopters. The farthest distance an object can be seen clearly with reading glasses on is at the focal point, which is approximately -56.3 cm.
blue_lilly

Homework Statement

Prescribing Eyeglasses - Hyperopia

A)Suppose you have hyperopia (you are farsighted). You can clearly focus on very distant objects, but any object which is closer than 56.3 cm from your eyes will appear blurry unless you use glasses. The purpose of glasses would be to make objects that are close to you appear to be at your near point. What would be the refractive power (in diopters - do not enter units) for your prescription if you want to be able to clearly read by holding the paper

B)If your glasses make close objects appear farther away, it will make objects that are farther appear to be even more distant. If the object gets too far away, the image will become real and be located such that you can no longer focus on the image. What is the farthest distance that an object can be and still be able to see it clearly with your reading glasses on?

Homework Equations

(1/do)+(1/di)=(1/FL) [do=object distance; di=image distance; FL= Focal Length]
Reactive Power=1/FL [when the FL is in meters]

The Attempt at a Solution

A) From the problem, I am given near-point=56.3cm, the far-point=infinity. I also know that becuase this is an corrective lens, the image distance(di) will always be negative.
(1/do)+(1/di)=(1/FL)
di=-56.3cm FL=?
(1/-56.3)=(1/FL)
-.017761=(1/FL)
FL= 1/-.017761
FL= -56.3cm​

Then I need to take my Focal Length and convert it into meters because reactive power uses meter and not cm.
-56.3 cm = -0.563 m
Reactive Power=1/FL
=1/-0.563
P=-1.77619 This answer is incorrect.

B) The point where a virtual image becomes a real image on a converging lens is at the Focal Point. I found the Focal Length in the previous answer
FL= -56.3cm This answer is incorrect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that [itex] d_i<0 [/itex]?

Related to What Is the Correct Prescription Power for Hyperopia to Read at 56.3 cm?

1. What is farsightedness?

Farsightedness, also known as hyperopia, is a common vision condition where objects in the distance appear clear, but objects up close appear blurry.

2. How do eyeglasses help with farsightedness?

Eyeglasses for farsightedness contain lenses that are thicker in the center and thinner on the edges. This helps to bend light as it enters the eye, allowing for clearer vision up close.

3. How do I know if I need eyeglasses for farsightedness?

If you have trouble seeing objects up close, experience headaches or eye strain when reading, or have to hold objects at arm's length to see them clearly, you may have farsightedness and should consult with an eye doctor.

4. Can I wear glasses for farsightedness all the time?

Yes, you can wear glasses for farsightedness all the time if your prescription calls for it. However, some people may only need to wear them for certain activities, such as reading or using the computer.

5. Are there any other treatment options for farsightedness besides glasses?

Yes, there are other treatment options for farsightedness, including contact lenses, laser surgery, and refractive lens exchange. However, it is important to consult with an eye doctor to determine the best course of treatment for your specific case.