Extreme situations in physics problems

In summary, the conversation discusses various "extreme situations" in physics problems, such as losing contact with the ground and a slack rope, and the OP wonders if there are any other similar situations to be aware of. They also mention examples like black holes, parallel ideal voltage sources, and perfectly horizontal strings as potential "extreme" situations. The term "extreme" may be a language issue and may be better described as "limiting" or "ideal."
fogvajarash
"Extreme situations" in physics problems

I don't know if this question is pertinent for this discussion forum. I was making some study notes, and i was trying to recollect statements that are always "extreme" in physics problems (such as mechanics). Until now, i have found two of them: Lose contact with the ground (the normal force is 0), and rope goes slack (tension force is 0). I was wondering, are there any other "extreme situations" that i should be aware of?

Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are those examples considered extreme?

What about..

Black holes?
Two different ideal voltage sources connected in parallel?
The tension in a perfectly horizontal string?

CWatters said:
Why are those examples considered extreme?
I think there may be a language issue. Probably what the OP means is "limiting" or "ideal."

Related to Extreme situations in physics problems

What is an extreme situation in physics?

An extreme situation in physics refers to a scenario where the conditions or parameters of a physical system are pushed to their limits, leading to unusual or unexpected behavior. This can include extremely high or low temperatures, pressures, velocities, or energies.

How do extreme situations impact our understanding of physics?

Extreme situations allow us to test and refine our current theories and models of physics. They also help us discover new phenomena and properties of matter that would not be observable under normal conditions. By studying extreme situations, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

What are some examples of extreme situations in physics?

Some examples include black holes, where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape, and the Big Bang, which represents the extreme beginning of the universe. Other examples include the behavior of matter at ultra-low temperatures or in high-energy particle collisions.

How do scientists study extreme situations in physics?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, computer simulations, and experiments to study extreme situations in physics. They may also use specialized instruments and equipment designed to handle extreme conditions, such as cryogenic chambers or particle accelerators.

What are the potential applications of studying extreme situations in physics?

Studying extreme situations in physics can lead to advancements in various fields, such as materials science, astrophysics, and energy production. For example, understanding extreme temperatures can help us develop more efficient cooling systems, while studying extreme pressures can lead to new materials with unique properties.