Extracting a Feynman diagram from a lagrangian?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with understanding the feynman rules and diagrams in quantum field theory. The main issue is linking a physical situation to the diagrams and understanding the momentum factors due to particles entering and leaving a vertex. It is explained that to obtain the diagrams, one must draw all allowed diagrams with the correct in and out states. The conversation also clarifies that there are 4 diagrams instead of 1 due to two interaction terms in the Lagrangian, and that there is only the p2 momentum in the first amplitude because there is no derivative on the phi1 factor and the initial state is specified as 1+2.
Afanthomme
Hi everyone, sorry if this is not the right place to post that question but I'm new to this forum, i'll delete if necessary.

I am currently trying to learn QFT from Matthew Schwartz's "Quantum field theory and the standard model", quite clear during the first chapters, but i have been completely lost by the chapter about the feynman rules (can be found here : http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1097985.files/I-7-Feynman.pdf )

I understand the first examples and the 2 derivations, but once he starts adding the derivative coupling (p.17) I'm completely lost : i don't understand how he gets the diagrams.
Is it that he decides to study 2->2 scattering of the first 2 fields through the third given the interaction?

If this is the case, why are there 4 diagrams instead of 1 after the integration by parts?

And one last question : why is there only the p2 momentum in the first amplitude? Since the two particles enter the first vertice (and exit the second), shouldn't they both give a factor?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a bit unclear exactly what you are having trouble with. Are you having trouble in deriving the Feynman rules or using them to obtain the available Feynman diagrams?

it's mostly the second problem, i really don't understand how to link a physical situation to the diagrams.
I also have a problem with the momentum factors due to particles entering/leaving a vertex (but i think this might become more understandable if i understand how to get the diagrams)

In order to get the diagrams you simply draw all allowed diagrams with the correct in and out states (to a given order in perturbation theory). Start by deriving the Feynman rules and then use these to draw the diagrams.

Well I'm not really sure that helps me...
When you say "allowed diagrams with the correct in and out states", you mean all diagrams with a given number of vertex that link the external points ( for example [itex] \phi_{pi} [/itex])?

Edit : in fact i understood what bothered me with the derivative.

Last edited:
Afanthomme said:
When you say "allowed diagrams with the correct in and out states", you mean all diagrams with a given number of vertex that link the external points ( for example ϕpi \phi_{pi} )?

Yes. But you must also make sure that the external lines are for the correct fields ... You cannot make a Feynman diagram with an outgoing ##\phi_1## if your outgoing field should be a ##\phi_2## (unless there is also an outgoing ##\phi_1## of course, but you get my meaning).

Likes Afanthomme
Ok i get that !
One last question: when asked to compute "the amplitude for a [itex] \phi->\phi \phi [/itex] decay" without further precision, how do we fix the external points?
Do we have to integrate over all possible momenta configurations?

Afanthomme said:
I understand the first examples and the 2 derivations, but once he starts adding the derivative coupling (p.17) I'm completely lost : i don't understand how he gets the diagrams.
Is it that he decides to study 2->2 scattering of the first 2 fields through the third given the interaction?

Yes, he chose ##1+2\rightarrow 1+2##, but you could work the amplitude for ##2+3 \rightarrow 2+3## for example.

If this is the case, why are there 4 diagrams instead of 1 after the integration by parts?

You have two interaction terms in the Lagrangian. There are 2 choices for which to use at each vertex, hence ##2\cdot 2 = 4## possibilities in all.

And one last question : why is there only the p2 momentum in the first amplitude? Since the two particles enter the first vertice (and exit the second), shouldn't they both give a factor?

I think you mentioned that you worked this out. In case it's not clear, it's because there is no derivative on the ##\phi_1## factor and we've specified that there is a ##1+2## in the initial state.

Likes Afanthomme
Thank you very much, this really made it much clearer !

Related to Extracting a Feynman diagram from a lagrangian?

1. What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a graphical representation of the mathematical expressions used in quantum field theory to describe the interactions between particles. It is named after physicist Richard Feynman, who developed the diagramming technique.

2. How do you extract a Feynman diagram from a lagrangian?

To extract a Feynman diagram from a lagrangian, one must first identify the interaction terms in the lagrangian, which represent the possible interactions between particles. Then, using the rules of Feynman diagramming, these terms can be represented as lines connecting the particles involved in the interaction, with each line representing a different type of particle or interaction.

3. What is the purpose of extracting a Feynman diagram from a lagrangian?

The purpose of extracting a Feynman diagram from a lagrangian is to visualize and understand the interactions between particles in a quantum field theory. It allows for a more intuitive understanding of the complex mathematical equations involved in these theories.

4. Are there any limitations to extracting a Feynman diagram from a lagrangian?

Yes, there are some limitations to this process. Feynman diagrams only represent tree-level diagrams, which means they do not take into account higher-order corrections. Additionally, they do not account for all possible interactions and can become increasingly complex for more particles involved in the interaction.

5. Can Feynman diagrams be used in all quantum field theories?

No, Feynman diagrams are primarily used in quantum field theories that follow the principles of quantum electrodynamics (QED) and quantum chromodynamics (QCD). They may not be applicable in other theories such as gravity or string theory.