Extinguishing Fire with Water - Chemical Reaction

In summary: Any combustible material will produce heat and gas when burned, but water is especially effective at quenching the flame because it has a high surface area-to-mass ratio.
johncena
how water extinguishes fire? i mean..what is the chemical reaction taking place when water combines with fire??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think fire is a visual representation of heat + burnt fuel. Does water actually react with fuel? I guess water only brings the heat down so that ignition of the fuel can't happen anymore.

johncena said:
how water extinguishes fire? i mean..what is the chemical reaction taking place when water combines with fire??
No chemical reactions. Water cool down the flame, but essentially water vaporizes and this vapour creates a barrier between the flame and air's oxygen, so the flame cannot be provided with oxygen anylonger.

is there any chemical formula for fire?

It depends on which kind of fire you have. An oil fire, a paper fire?

formula of paper fire?

The best I can find is:

C8H18 + (25-x)/2 * O2 => 9 H2O + (8-x) CO2 + x CO

for benzine fire.

Be aware that fire is just warm gas+matter. When you see warm metal it will also be red and yellow but in a solid state.

water doesn't react with anything in this regard, in fact no chemical reactions are taking place it's essentially a mechanical reaction: the water acts as a barrier between oxygen and the other reactant(s)

Last edited:
kashiark said:
water doesn't react with anything

While I understand the general idea behind your post, and I agree with it, this is a huge overstatement :smile:

All common combustion reactions are of the form:

Fuel + O2 --> CO2 + H2O

Fire is just a visible manifestation of the energy of the combustion reaction. The energy given off by the conversion of paper into ash, or oil into carbon dioxide, etc. results in the heating of the air around the reaction epicenter, which can cause it to glow. Fire has no chemical formula because it is not a substance; it is an observation.

Water puts out fire because water essentially stops oxygen from reaching the fuel by smothering the source.

Related to Extinguishing Fire with Water - Chemical Reaction

1. How does water extinguish fire?

Water extinguishes fire by removing heat and isolating the fuel source. It does this through a process called cooling and smothering. When water is applied to a fire, it absorbs the heat from the fire and evaporates, which cools the fuel below its ignition temperature. Additionally, the water vapor created by the evaporation displaces oxygen, which is essential for fire to burn, thereby smothering the fire.

2. Is it a chemical reaction when water is used to extinguish fire?

No, it is not a chemical reaction. Water does not undergo any chemical change when it is used to extinguish fire. It simply reduces the temperature and removes oxygen from the fire, which stops the combustion process.

3. Can any type of water be used to extinguish fire?

Yes, any type of water can be used to extinguish fire. However, using saltwater or contaminated water can have negative effects, such as corroding equipment or creating toxic fumes. It is best to use clean, fresh water when extinguishing a fire.

4. Are there any limitations to using water as a fire extinguishing agent?

Yes, there are limitations to using water as a fire extinguishing agent. Water is not effective for all types of fires, such as those involving flammable metals or electrical equipment. In these cases, using water can actually make the fire worse. It is important to understand the type of fire before attempting to extinguish it with water.

5. Can water be used to extinguish all stages of fire?

No, water is not always effective in extinguishing all stages of fire. For example, using water on a grease fire can cause the fire to spread and become more dangerous. In some cases, water may not be enough to extinguish a fire and additional methods may be needed, such as using foam or dry chemical agents.