Expressions of ##log(a+b), tan^{-1}(a+b),sin^{-1}(a+b)##,etc

In summary, the conversation is about developing formulas for approximating logarithmic, trigonometric, and inverse trigonometric functions. The formulas involve taking the average value of the function over an interval and can be expressed as a power series in the difference between the two variables. The accuracy of the formulas depends on the behavior of the function and can be affected by the size of the variables. The speaker is interested in exploring and understanding these formulas, but does not have a specific practical application in mind.
Kumar8434
Hi, I got these:
$$log(a+b)\approx \frac{b*logb-a*loga}{b-a} + log2 -1$$
$$tan^{-1}(a+b)\approx \frac{b*tan^{-1}2b-a*tan^{-1}2a+\frac{1}{4}*ln\frac{1+4a^2}{1+4b^2}}{b-a}$$
$$sin^{-1}(a+b)\approx \frac{b*sin^{-1}2b-a*sin^{-1}2a+\frac{1}{2}*(\sqrt{1-4b^2}-\sqrt{1-4a^2}}{b-a}$$

And, similarly for ##sec^{-1}(a+b)##, ##cosec^{-1}(a+b)##, ##cot^{-1}(a+b)##, etc.
So, you see that the RHS in each of these expressions is the average value of ##f(2x)## between x=a and x=b, i.e. $$\frac{\int_a^bf(2x)dx}{b-a}$$
So, for what values of ##a## and ##b## do these approximations hold good? I checked that these had great accuracy for some pairs I put in my calculator but not so good for others.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think these formulas are good approximations if b and a are nearby in the real line. Cant exactly define how much nearby they should be.

Delta² said:
I think these formulas are good approximations if b and a are nearby in the real line. Cant exactly define how much nearby they should be.
How does this work?

For the log case, I 'd write
b = a + x
so
b.logb = (a + x).log(a + x) =
(a + x).log( a.(1 + x/a) )
(a + x).( loga + log(1 + x/a) )
≈(a + x).(loga + x/a + . . . )
where I've started an expansion of the second log assuming -1 <x/a <1 .
In this way express your complete formula as a power series in x.

Then do the same for log (a + b) = log(2a + x)
= log( 2a.(1+x/2a) )
≅log(2a) + x/2a + . . .

Compare the results, to see in which power of x = b - a the two expressions differ. A similar approach should work for your other formulae.

Here's an intuitive way to look at the situation. If ##A## and ##B## are nearly equal then ##A+B \approx 2A \approx 2B##. So a crude approximation is ##f(A+B) \approx f(2A) \approx f(2B)## Instead of using one of those crude approximations, we could use the "average" value of ##f## over the interval ##[2A,2B]##.

That would be ## f(A+B) \approx m = \frac{ \int_{2A}^{2B} f(u) du} {2B- 2A} ##.

Making the change of variable ##2x = u## the integration becomes ##m = \frac{ 2 \int_A^B f(2x) dx}{2B - 2A} = \frac{\int_A^B f(2x) dx}{B-A}##.

Stephen Tashi said:
Here's an intuitive way to look at the situation. If ##A## and ##B## are nearly equal then ##A+B \approx 2A \approx 2B##. So a crude approximation is ##f(A+B) \approx f(2A) \approx f(2B)## Instead of using one of those crude approximations, we could use the "average" value of ##f## over the interval ##[2A,2B]##.

That would be ## f(A+B) \approx m = \frac{ \int_{2A}^{2B} f(u) du} {2B- 2A} ##.

Making the change of variable ##2x = u## the integration becomes ##m = \frac{ 2 \int_A^B f(2x) dx}{2B - 2A} = \frac{\int_A^B f(2x) dx}{B-A}##.
##A## and ##B## need not be nearly equal. For example, when ##A=0.4## and ##B=1.5##. Then ##A+B=1.9##, ##2A=0.8## and ##2B=3##. So, ##A+B## is neither approximately equal to ##2A## nor to ##2B##. The formula still gives a very accurate value of ##tan^{-1}1.9##.

Kumar8434 said:
So, ##A+B## is neither approximately equal to ##2A## nor to ##2B##.
However, A+B is still the average of 2A and 2B which leads to the justification for making an estimate by taking the average value of the function over the interval [2A,2B].

Stephen Tashi said:
However, A+B is still the average of 2A and 2B which leads to the justification for making an estimate by taking the average value of the function over the interval [2A,2B].
2A and 2B will always have A+B as an average no matter what are A and B.

Kumar8434 said:
2A and 2B will always have A+B as an average no matter what are A and B.

Yes.

Stephen Tashi said:
Yes.
Well, that'd mean the formula would always work. You first said that it's supposed to work when ##2A\approx A+B\approx 2B##

Kumar8434 said:
Well, that'd mean the formula would always work.
No, it would suggest that the formula is worth trying. Whether the formula works or not depends on how the function we are approximating behaves.

You first said that it's supposed to work when ##2A\approx A+B\approx 2B##
Yes, I did.

I may have more to say later, but here are a few quick thoughts.

I haven't got my notes in front of me but I believe that for large values of a and b (a, b > 1) your arctangent formula is good up to at least terms of order (a + b)-3. I think terms in (b -a) appear in higher orders.

I expanded your formula about (a + b) = 1; i.e. arctan(a + b ) = π/4. The deviations seemed to be (b - a)2/3 (to be checked).

The limiting case where a = 0 and b is small ( 4b2 < 1) is easy to analyse and seems instructive. I believe here your formula first deviates from the true formula in the cubic term.

I do understand your interest in developing these formulae, but where do you think they would be useful?

John Park said:
I may have more to say later, but here are a few quick thoughts.

I haven't got my notes in front of me but I believe that for large values of a and b (a, b > 1) your arctangent formula is good up to at least terms of order (a + b)-3. I think terms in (b -a) appear in higher orders.

I expanded your formula about (a + b) = 1; i.e. arctan(a + b ) = π/4. The deviations seemed to be (b - a)2/3 (to be checked).

The limiting case where a = 0 and b is small ( 4b2 < 1) is easy to analyse and seems instructive. I believe here your formula first deviates from the true formula in the cubic term.

I do understand your interest in developing these formulae, but where do you think they would be useful?
It's not about uses, I've just suddenly become interested in thinking about these things.

Related to Expressions of ##log(a+b), tan^{-1}(a+b),sin^{-1}(a+b)##,etc

1. What do the expressions log(a+b), tan-1(a+b), and sin-1(a+b) mean?

The expression log(a+b) represents the logarithm of the sum of a and b, while tan-1(a+b) represents the inverse tangent of the sum of a and b, and sin-1(a+b) represents the inverse sine of the sum of a and b.

2. How are these expressions used in mathematics?

Expressions like log(a+b), tan-1(a+b), and sin-1(a+b) are commonly used in solving mathematical equations, particularly in trigonometry and calculus. They can also be used to simplify complex expressions and solve for unknown variables.

3. What is the relationship between these expressions and their corresponding functions?

The expressions log(a+b), tan-1(a+b), and sin-1(a+b) are all examples of inverse functions. This means that they "undo" the effects of their corresponding functions (logarithm, tangent, and sine, respectively). For example, if y = log(a+b), then log-1(y) = a+b.

4. Can these expressions be evaluated for any values of a and b?

Yes, these expressions can be evaluated for any values of a and b, as long as the input values are within the domain of the corresponding functions. For example, the expression tan-1(a+b) can only be evaluated for values of a and b that make the sum a+b within the domain of the tangent function, which is between -π/2 and π/2 radians.

5. What are some real-life applications of these expressions?

Expressions of the form log(a+b), tan-1(a+b), and sin-1(a+b) are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. They can be used to model and solve problems involving growth rates, angles of elevation and depression, and oscillations, among others.