Expressions for \gamma and \theta in terms of \alpha and \beta?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining expressions for \gamma and \theta in terms of \alpha and \beta. The equations given are \varphi(x) = \alphaeikx + \betae-ikx and \varphi(x) = \gammasin(kx) + \thetacos(kx). The attempt at a solution involves replacing the variables with A, B, M, and N and then grouping like terms together to get 2\alpha=\theta-\gamma and 2\beta=\theta+\gamma.
Slepton

Homework Statement

For a free particle, i have two expressions.

[tex]\varphi[/tex](x) = [tex]\alpha[/tex]eikx + [tex]\beta[/tex]e-ikx
and

[tex]\varphi[/tex](x) = [tex]\gamma[/tex]sin(kx) + [tex]\theta[/tex]cos(kx)

I have to determine expressions for [tex]\gamma[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] in terms of [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex].

Homework Equations

sin(kx) = (eikx - e-ikx)/2i

cos(kx) = (eix + e-ix)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I replaced sin and cosine in the second equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Slepton said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I replaced sin and cosine in the second equation.

That's a good start...what did you end up with?

replacing
alpha with A
beta with B
gamma with M
theta with N

I have,

2(Aeikx + Be-ikx) = -Meikx + Me-ikx + Neix + Ne-ix

Slepton said:
replacing
alpha with A
beta with B
gamma with M
theta with N

I have,

2(Aeikx + Be-ikx) = -Meikx + Me-ikx + Neix + Ne-ix

Good, now just group like terms together:

[itex]2(\alpha e^{ikx}+\beta e^{-ikx})=(\theta-\gamma)e^{ikx}+(\gamma+\theta)e^{-ikx}[/itex]

Surely you can see where to go from here?

actually that's where I'm stuck at. I know its should be something simpler but my system has lasted on me...

Surely you can see that [itex]2\alpha=\theta-\gamma[/itex] and [itex]2\beta=\theta+\gamma[/itex]...can't you?

Related to Expressions for \gamma and \theta in terms of \alpha and \beta?

1. What is a free particle in a spatial part?

A free particle in a spatial part refers to a particle that is not subjected to any external forces or interactions. It is a fundamental concept in physics that is used to study the behavior of particles in a given system.

2. How is the motion of a free particle described?

The motion of a free particle in a spatial part is described by its position, velocity, and acceleration as a function of time. This can be mathematically represented using equations of motion such as Newton's laws of motion.

3. What is the significance of studying free particles in a spatial part?

Studying free particles in a spatial part allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a given system, as well as the laws and principles that govern their motion. It is also crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and astrophysics.

4. How is the concept of free particles related to energy?

The concept of free particles is closely related to energy as it is a fundamental principle in physics that energy must be conserved in any system. In a free particle, there are no external forces acting on it, so the kinetic energy of the particle remains constant over time.

5. Can a free particle exist in a physical system?

Yes, a free particle can exist in a physical system, but it is a theoretical concept and cannot be observed directly. In reality, particles are constantly subjected to various external forces, such as gravity and electromagnetic fields, which affect their motion.