Expression of Pol-Gag in different viruses

• Thread starter VictorMedvil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the individual is trying to create a device that combines T4 bacteriophages and HIV-1, but wants to ensure that the resulting vector is not lytic and is safe for handling. The possibility of incorporating Gag-Pol into T4 phages by modifying the Gag-Pol gene is discussed, as well as the use of phage display techniques to incorporate foreign proteins into bacteriophages. The individual also mentions expressing the chickenpox capsid in a pseudo-typed HIV-1 vector, but emphasizes the importance of understanding the specifications of protein uptake and working in appropriate facilities with proper training.
VictorMedvil
I wanted to clear something up, if I wanted to express the Pol-Gag Proteins of HIV-1 in two different viruses would it be expressed by simply putting a promoter into front of the genes? Let's say I had a pseudo-typed HIV-1 Vector's genes and T4 structural genes would the T4 structure express pol-Gag by adding a promoter to the pol and gag genes, if they were all in the same plasmid?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I completely understand the question. HIV is a virus that infects humans and T4 is a phage that infects bacteria, so combining the two is somewhat unusual. If you had a plasmid that expressed the T4 structural genes and Gag-Pol on another promoter, you could certainly get the cell introduce the plasmid into to produce both sets of genes, but I don't think that you could get the T4 structural proteins to incorporate Gag-Pol into the T4 phages without first modifying the Gag-Pol gene in some way.

• Informative
Likes VictorMedvil
Ygggdrasil said:
I'm not sure I completely understand the question. HIV is a virus that infects humans and T4 is a phage that infects bacteria, so combining the two is somewhat unusual. If you had a plasmid that expressed the T4 structural genes and Gag-Pol on another promoter, you could certainly get the cell introduce the plasmid into to produce both sets of genes, but I don't think that you could get the T4 structural proteins to incorporate Gag-Pol into the T4 phages without first modifying the Gag-Pol gene in some way.
That's what I was wondering would the T4 Phages Incorporate Pol-Gag by making extra copies of pol-gag? Maybe I should ask this question what about a virus allows uptake proteins are there internal slots they fit into? I know it is a strange combination however it is necessary for a project of mine, that I am physically trying to do, I have T4 Bacteriophage cultures and the Plasmids for HIV-1, trying to make a device that uses both structures but it needs to not be lytic cycle the bacteriophages.

I have already expressed the Chickenpox caspid in a Pseudo-typed HIV-1 Vector however I don't want to try this until I know more about the specifications of Protein Uptake. I don't want to accidentally make a lytic Vector, this is dealing with a experiment of metamorphism in biological organisms.

New-Bitmap-Image-2.png

But you answered the original question that pol and gag would need to be modified to be used in a bacteriophage, so I thought I owed you a explanation, Thanks Ygggdrasil.

Last edited:
VictorMedvil said:
That's what I was wondering would the T4 Phages Incorporate Pol-Gag by making extra copies of pol-gag? Maybe I should ask this question what about a virus allows uptake proteins are there internal slots they fit into?

I think generally this would depend on the specifics of the virus you are manipulating. There has been a lot of work done on how to incorporate foreign proteins into bacteriophages from work on phage display techniques.

I have already expressed the Chickenpox caspid in a Pseudo-typed HIV-1 Vector however I don't want to try this until I know more about the specifications of Protein Uptake. I don't want to accidentally make a lytic Vector, this is dealing with a experiment of metamorphism in biological organisms.

Chickenpox, a virus that infects humans, is very different from T4, a phage that infects bacteria. It is unlikely that work on T4 would inform how to safely handle the viruses you create with the chickenpox capsid. Work using viral vectors, especially those that can infect humans, is hazardous, so universities generally require those handling viral vectors to get special training. Furthermore, such work generally needs to be performed in laboratory spaces certified to perform biosafely level-2 work. I would not recommend pseudotyping human viruses unless you are working in appropriate facilities and have the appropriate training.

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Expression of Pol-Gag in different viruses

1. What is the purpose of studying the expression of Pol-Gag in different viruses?

The expression of Pol-Gag, which are two important viral proteins, can provide valuable information about the life cycle and pathogenicity of viruses. By studying their expression in different viruses, scientists can gain insights into how these proteins function and how they may contribute to viral replication and disease development.

2. How is the expression of Pol-Gag regulated in different viruses?

The expression of Pol-Gag is regulated by various factors, including the virus's genetic makeup, the host cell environment, and external stimuli. Different viruses may have unique mechanisms for controlling the expression of these proteins, which can impact their replication and virulence.

3. What techniques are used to study the expression of Pol-Gag in viruses?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the expression of Pol-Gag in viruses, including molecular biology techniques such as PCR and gene expression analysis, as well as imaging techniques like microscopy and immunofluorescence. These methods allow researchers to visualize and quantify the expression of these proteins in different viral systems.

4. How does the expression of Pol-Gag vary among different types of viruses?

The expression of Pol-Gag can vary significantly among different types of viruses. Some viruses may have high levels of expression, while others may have low or undetectable levels. Additionally, the timing and location of expression may differ among viruses, depending on their life cycle and mode of replication.

5. What can we learn from studying the expression of Pol-Gag in different viruses?

Studying the expression of Pol-Gag in different viruses can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of viral replication and pathogenesis. It can also help identify potential targets for antiviral therapies and inform the development of vaccines. Additionally, comparing the expression of these proteins among different viruses can reveal evolutionary relationships and shed light on the diversity and evolution of viral genomes.