Expression of electrostatic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electrostatic field and how it is represented in cylindrical coordinates. The questioner is unsure about how to determine if a field is electrostatic and seeks help in understanding the concept of the "curl" or rotor of a vector. The responder explains that the rotor must be zero for an electrostatic field and mentions the potential issue of the rotor not being defined along the z-axis in cylindrical coordinates. Finally, the responder suggests showing that the line integral of the field around a closed path enclosing the z-axis is zero to truly determine if the field is electrostatic.
bznm

Homework Statement

Why does this expression, given in cylindrical coordinates, rapresent an electrostatic field:
$${\bf E(r)}=\frac{\alpha}{z^2}{\bf u_r}-2 \frac{\alpha r}{z^3}{\bf u_z} $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't understand why the expression rapresent an electrostatic field.
An electrostatic field is characterized by the fact that it depends only by r, isn't it?
I have tried to transform this expression in cartesian coordinates, but with no result (this is the firt time that I work with cylindrical coordinates). I'm thinking that I don't know how to say if a field is electrostatic or not.

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bznm said:
An electrostatic field is characterized by the fact that it depends only by r, isn't it?

Not necessarily.

Have you studied the concept of the "curl" of a vector?

Curl? is it the rotor?

bznm said:
Curl? is it the rotor?

Yes. Do you know how to express it in cylindrical coordinates?

TSny said:
Yes. Do you know how to express it in cylindrical coordinates?
I have found it on internet

If E is electrostatic, what can you say about the rotor of E?

it is equal to zero... I got it! Thanks!

Good.

[I'm not sure if you are meant to worry about the following possibility. Sometimes you need to be careful working in cylindrical coordinates because the rotor is not defined on the z axis (r = 0). Also, your electric field is not defined on the z axis. Even if you change to cartesian coordinates, you will find that the rotor is not defined on the z axis for your field.

An electrostatic field should have the property that the line integral of the field around any closed path is zero. This will be the case if the rotor of E is zero at every point. Since the rotor is not defined along the z-axis in your example, it is necessary to show that the line integral of E around a closed path that encloses the z-axis is zero before you can really conclude that you have an electrostatic field. This came up in a recent question: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=709685

In your case, you can show that the line integral is zero for a path that encloses the z-axis.

Again, I'm not sure if you are meant to worry about this.]

Related to Expression of electrostatic field

1. What is an electrostatic field?

An electrostatic field is a type of electric field that is created by stationary electric charges. It is a force field that surrounds any charged object and can be either attractive or repulsive. It is also known as a static electric field since the charges are not in motion.

2. How is the expression of an electrostatic field calculated?

The expression of an electrostatic field is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The expression is given by F = (k*q1*q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. What are the units of an electrostatic field?

The SI unit of an electrostatic field is newtons per coulomb (N/C). This unit represents the force per unit charge that an electric field exerts on a test charge.

4. How does an electrostatic field differ from a magnetic field?

An electrostatic field is created by stationary electric charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. Additionally, an electrostatic field can be either attractive or repulsive, while a magnetic field is always attractive. The units of measurement for the two fields also differ, with the magnetic field measured in teslas (T) or gauss (G).

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatic fields?

Electrostatic fields have various applications in our everyday lives, such as in electronic devices like TVs, computers, and cell phones. They are also used in air purifiers, photocopiers, and inkjet printers. In industry, electrostatic fields are used in powder coating, painting, and air filtration systems. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of the human body, as nerve signals are based on the movement of electric charges.