Expression for the moment of inertia

Finally, add them all together.In summary, the problem involves determining the moment of inertia of a thin, homogeneous bent rod with mass m and total length of 4b, rotating with an angular speed of ω = ω0(24i + 12j - 6.0k). The expression for the moment of inertia must take into account the center of mass of the rod. By plotting the figure and considering symmetry, Iyz=Iyx=Iyz=Izy=Ixz=Izx=0. However, Ixx, Iyy, and Izz must be calculated separately. The center of mass of the rod is located at the origin of the y-z axis. The moment of inertia for rotation in
Firben

Homework Statement

The thin, homogeneous bent rod has the mass m and the total length of 4b. It rotates with the angular speed of ω = ω0(24i + 12j - 6.0k) (only rotation)

Determine the expression for the moment of inertia with consideration of the center of mass of the rod

The figure:
http://s716.photobucket.com/user/Pitoraq/media/Mek4_zps8205c021.png.html

Homework Equations

H = (Ixxωx-Ixyωy-Ixzωz)i+(-Iyzωx+Iyyωy-Iyzωz)j+(-Izxωx-Izyωy+Izzωz)k

m = ρb

The Attempt at a Solution

¨

I plotted the figure in yx-axis and could see that

Iyz=Iyx=Iyz=Izy=Ixz=Izx=0 is symmetric

But I'm not sure about Ixx, Iyy and Izz

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post your graph?

Firben said:

The Attempt at a Solution

¨

I plotted the figure in yx-axis and could see that

Iyz=Iyx=Iyz=Izy=Ixz=Izx=0 is symmetric

But I'm not sure about Ixx, Iyy and Izz

You might have to, you know, calculate Ixx, Iyy, and Izz. It's a shocking suggestion, I'm sure.

The centre of mass is easy: it is at the origin of y-z axis.

There are three parts to this problem: the rotating center bit, and the two sides. By symmetry, the MOI of the left and right side are equal.

Calculate the MOI for rotation in the ##i## and ##j## and ##k## axes. Use parallel axes theorem to calculate the MOI of the sides.

Related to Expression for the moment of inertia

What is the moment of inertia and why is it important?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that measures its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is important in understanding how objects behave when they are rotating, such as in machines or in celestial bodies.

What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia depends on the shape and mass distribution of the object. For a point mass rotating around a fixed axis, it is equal to the mass multiplied by the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex shapes, the formula involves integrals and is different for each type of object.

How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia affects an object's rotational motion by determining how much torque (rotational force) is needed to accelerate or decelerate its rotation. Objects with larger moments of inertia require more torque to change their rotational motion, while objects with smaller moments of inertia can rotate more easily.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with more mass or with mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have larger moments of inertia. The shape of the object also plays a role, as objects with more compact shapes tend to have smaller moments of inertia.

How is the moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia is used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics. It is crucial in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, as it helps engineers determine the necessary torque and power needed for the desired rotation. It is also used in celestial mechanics to understand the rotational behavior of planets and other celestial bodies.