Expression for the instantaneous angular velocity

In summary: I found where I made mistake 'v' should be, ##v=h\omega_0##and with that substitutionI get the answer ##\frac{\omega_0}{1+\omega_0^2t^2}##
Rahulrj

Homework Statement

The directed beam from a small but powerful searchlight placed on the ground tracks a small plane flying horizontally at a fixed height h above the ground with a uniform velocity v. If the search light starts rotating with an instantaneous angular velocity ##\omega_0## at time ##t=0## when the plane was directly overhead, then at a later time t, its instantaneous angular velocity ##\omega(t)## is given by?

Homework Equations

##\omega## = ##\omega_0##+##\alpha t##
##\omega^2## = ##\omega_0^2## + 2##\alpha \theta##
##\theta## = ##\omega_0 t##+1/2##\alpha t^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to begin the solution other than the equations I have written above.
The answer given is ##\frac{\omega_0}{1+\omega_0^2t^2}##. I tried differentiating but I don't seem to get anywhere with it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rahulrj said:

Homework Statement

The directed beam from a small but powerful searchlight placed on the ground tracks a small plane flying horizontally at a fixed height h above the ground with a uniform velocity v. If the search light starts rotating with an instantaneous angular velocity ##\omega_0## at time ##t=0## when the plane was directly overhead, then at a later time t, its instantaneous angular velocity ##\omega(t)## is given by?

Homework Equations

##\omega## = ##\omega_0##+##\alpha t##
##\omega^2## = ##\omega_0^2## + 2##\alpha t##
##\theta## = ##\omega_0 t##+1/2##\alpha t^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to begin the solution other than the equations I have written above.
The answer given is ##\frac{\omega_0}{1+\omega_0^2t^2}##. I tried differentiating but I don't seem to get anywhere with it.
You tried differentiating - what?
ω need not be either a linear or quadratic function of time.
Make a picture, and everything will be clear.
How does the angle theta depend on time? How is the angular velocity ω defined?
upload_2017-5-16_9-44-10.png
The blue line represent the light beam at t=0, the red line is the light beam at a later time t.

Likes Vibhor
ehild said:
You tried differentiating - what?
ω need not be either a linear or quadratic function of time.
Make a picture, and everything will be clear.
How does the angle theta depend on time? How is the angular velocity ω defined?
View attachment 203608The blue line represent the light beam at t=0, the red line is the light beam at a later time t.
That to an extent was helpful however embarrassing to me I still couldn't get the right answer.
I took sine of the angle theta, so ##\sin\theta = vt/l## where l is the line connecting the searchlight and the plane
##\theta = \sin^{-1}(vt/l)## I used ##v = l\omega## to make the substitution in vt/l
differentiating it I get##\omega = \frac{\omega}{\sqrt{1-\omega^2t^2}}##

Rahulrj said:
That to an extent was helpful however embarrassing to me I still couldn't get the right answer.
I took sine of the angle theta, so ##\sin\theta = vt/l## where l is the line connecting the searchlight and the plane
##\theta = \sin^{-1}(vt/l)## I used ##v = l\omega## to make the substitution in vt/l
differentiating it I get##\omega = \frac{\omega}{\sqrt{1-\omega^2t^2}}##
l is changing, use vt/h = tan (theta) instead.

ehild said:
l is changing, use vt/h = tan (theta) instead.
I did use Tan at first however I got an answer with the terms l and h which couldn't figure out a way to eliminate. So with tan I get
##\theta = \tan^{-1}{vt/h}##
on differentiating I get ## \omega = \frac{\omega }{h/l+l\omega^2t^2/h}##
and I do not know how to simplify it further hence I used sine in my previous post

Last edited:
Rahulrj said:
I did use Tan at first however I got an answer with the terms l and h which couldn't figure out a way to eliminate. So with tan I get
and I do not know how to simplify it further hence I used sine in my previous post
That doesn't make much sense. Did you mean ω0 on the right?
Please post your working.

Likes Rahulrj
Rahulrj said:
I don not follow you.
You have ##\theta = \tan^{-1}({vt/h})##
Differentiate it with respect to t. What do you get? Remember v and h are constants.

ehild said:
I don not follow you.
You have ##\theta = \tan^{-1}({vt/h})##
Differentiate it with respect to t. What do you get? Remember v and h are constants.
Differential of ##Tan^{-1}x = \frac{1}{1+x^2}##
so then ##\omega = (1/1+(vt/h)^2 )* v/h##
substituting ##v=l\omega##
##\omega = 1/1+(l\omega t/h)^2 * v/h##
and I end up with ## \omega = \frac{\omega }{h/l+l\omega^2t^2/h}##

I found where I made mistake 'v' should be, ##v=h\omega_0##
and with that substitution
I get the answer ## \omega = \frac{\omega_0}{1+\omega_0^2t^2}##

Last edited:
Rahulrj said:
Differential of ##Tan^{-1}x = \frac{1}{1+x^2}##
so then ##\omega = (1/1+(vt/h)^2 )* v/h##

correct so far...
Rahulrj said:
substituting ##v=l\omega##
That is wrong. You've just derived the expression for ω, it is not v/L.
You have to find ω0, the angular velocity at t=0. Substitute t=0 into the equation for ω, what do you get?

ehild said:
correct so far...

That is wrong.
You have to find ω0, the angular velocity at t=0. Substitute t=0 into the equation for ω, what do you get?
Seems like you did not see my update in post #8.

Rahulrj said:
Seems like you did not see my update in post #8.
Well, I did not see. You got it at last!
Next time remove the wrong part from your post.

Likes Rahulrj

Related to Expression for the instantaneous angular velocity

1. What is the formula for calculating instantaneous angular velocity?

The formula for calculating instantaneous angular velocity is ω = dθ/dt, where ω is the angular velocity, θ is the angular displacement, and t is the time.

2. What is the unit of measurement for instantaneous angular velocity?

The unit of measurement for instantaneous angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s).

3. How is instantaneous angular velocity different from average angular velocity?

Instantaneous angular velocity refers to the angular velocity at a specific moment in time, while average angular velocity is the average rate of change of angular displacement over a period of time.

4. What is the relationship between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity is the linear distance traveled per unit of time, while angular velocity is the angular displacement per unit of time. The two are related by the formula v = rω, where v is linear velocity, r is the radius, and ω is the angular velocity.

5. How does instantaneous angular velocity relate to rotational motion?

Instantaneous angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement in rotational motion. It describes how fast an object is rotating at a specific moment in time.