Expression for a critically damped system

In summary, the conversation talks about a question on SHM with damping, specifically regarding a system that is critically damped and receives an impulse at t=0. The goal is to obtain an expression for the maximum displacement in the subsequent motion. The individual is using an equation and attempting to differentiate it to find the value of B, but is struggling with the process. They eventually correct their mistake and obtain the correct expression for maximum displacement, which is Vt exp (-rt/2m).
hemetite
man..i have 5 questions on SHM with damping..and it so difficult..it seem that the book have little coverage on this..

Qn1
A system, which is critically damped, has zero displacement at time t=0 and receive an impulse which gives it an intially velocity V. Obtain an expression for the maximum displacement in the subsequent motion.

i will be using

x=A exp (-rt/2m) + B*t* exp (-rt/2m) --------------> equation 1

I know that A is the amplitude...but what is B?

at t=0, displacement = 0
substitute the values in equation 1 will get
A=0.

next, it said that it has an initial velocity = V at t=0.

so i think i need to express x into velocity...so i need to differentiate dx/dt

x(t)=A exp (-rt/2m) + B*t* exp (-rt/2m)

dx/dt = (A) [-r/2m exp (-rt/2m)] + ( i don't know how to differentiate here...can help me..?)

i think after i differentiate the dx/dt, that will be
V= something...then i will put t= 0 and x= 0

all the values i will get will be put back to equation 1...

what i am tryging to do correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
hemetite said:
man..i have 5 questions on SHM with damping..and it so difficult..it seem that the book have little coverage on this..

Qn1
A system, which is critically damped, has zero displacement at time t=0 and receive an impulse which gives it an intially velocity V. Obtain an expression for the maximum displacement in the subsequent motion.

i will be using

x=A exp (-rt/2m) + B*t* exp (-rt/2m) --------------> equation 1

I know that A is the amplitude...but what is B?

at t=0, displacement = 0
substitute the values in equation 1 will get
A=0.

next, it said that it has an initial velocity = V at t=0.

so i think i need to express x into velocity...so i need to differentiate dx/dt

x(t)=A exp (-rt/2m) + B*t* exp (-rt/2m)

dx/dt = (A) [-r/2m exp (-rt/2m)] + ( i don't know how to differentiate here...can help me..?)

i think after i differentiate the dx/dt, that will be
V= something...then i will put t= 0 and x= 0

all the values i will get will be put back to equation 1...

what i am tryging to do correct?
You're on the right lines and what you have done thus far is correct. To differentiate the second term in your expression for displacement, you need to use the product rule.

been six years i touch math...so sorry..

here i try again...
dx/dt = (A) [-r/2m exp (-rt/2m)] + B + [-r/2m exp (-rt/2m)]

therefore

V= (A) [-r/2m exp (-rt/2m)] + B + [-r/2m exp (-rt/2m)]

substitute t=0, A= 0, B=V

into
x=A exp (-rt/2m) + B*t* exp (-rt/2m)

therefore

answer
x maximum= Vt exp (-rt/2m)

correct?

Related to Expression for a critically damped system

1. What is the expression for a critically damped system?

The expression for a critically damped system is given by:
x(t) = (A + Bt)ent, where A and B are constants determined by initial conditions, t is time, and ωn is the natural frequency of the system.

2. How is a critically damped system different from an overdamped or underdamped system?

A critically damped system is characterized by the fastest possible return to equilibrium without oscillating, while an overdamped system takes longer to reach equilibrium and an underdamped system oscillates before reaching equilibrium.

3. What does the expression for a critically damped system tell us about its behavior?

The expression for a critically damped system tells us that the displacement of the system decreases exponentially with time, and the system returns to equilibrium in the shortest amount of time without oscillating.

4. How is the natural frequency of a system related to its critical damping?

The natural frequency of a system is directly related to its critical damping. In a critically damped system, the natural frequency is equal to the damping ratio multiplied by the undamped natural frequency (ωn = ζωn). This means that the higher the damping ratio, the lower the natural frequency and the faster the system returns to equilibrium.

5. Can the expression for a critically damped system be used for all types of systems?

No, the expression for a critically damped system is only valid for linear systems. Nonlinear systems may exhibit different behaviors and cannot be described by this expression.