Expressing a surface in cartesian coordinates from spherical

In summary, the equation for the surface in Cartesian coordinates is z = rcosφ, x = rsinθcosφ, y = rsinθsinφ. To convert from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, use r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2), θ = cos^-1(z/r), and φ = tan^-1(y/x).
acedeno

Homework Statement

The following equation describes a surface in spherical coordinates. θ =pi/4
Write the equation in the cartesian coordinates?

that is, (r,θ,Ø) to (x,y,z)

Homework Equations

x=rsinθcosØ
y=rsinθsinØ
z=rcosθ

r=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)
θ=cos^-1(z/r)
Ø=tan^-1(y/x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty stumped. The only start I can get is that if θ=pi/4, this means that r and phi have to work around this. Allowing r to be from 0 to infinity. I'm not really sure what happens to phi. I'm thinking that it can be anywhere from 0 to 2pi.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your surface is simply defined as

[itex]\theta = \pi/4[/itex]

then all you need to do is solve your conversion factor from theta of

[itex]\theta = cos^{-1}(\frac{z}{r}) = cos^{-1}(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}})[/itex]

Since your value of theta is a constant, you just have

[itex]\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}} = cos(\frac{\pi}{4})[/itex]

Although you may want to make sure you have your notation correct. Generally I've seen

[itex]z = r cos\phi, x = r cos\theta sin\phi, y = r sin\theta sin\phi[/itex]

and if you did in fact get your notation mixed up (which it's possible that you did or didn't, but it's worth checking) that changes the nature of your calculations.

Last edited:

Related to Expressing a surface in cartesian coordinates from spherical

1. What is the purpose of expressing a surface in cartesian coordinates from spherical?

The purpose of expressing a surface in cartesian coordinates from spherical is to convert the coordinates of a point on a sphere (given in terms of latitude, longitude, and radius) into a three-dimensional cartesian coordinate system (x, y, z) for easier calculation and analysis.

2. How do you convert spherical coordinates to cartesian coordinates?

To convert spherical coordinates (ρ, φ, θ) to cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations:
x = ρ * sin(φ) * cos(θ)
y = ρ * sin(φ) * sin(θ)
z = ρ * cos(φ)

3. What are the main differences between spherical and cartesian coordinates?

The main difference between spherical and cartesian coordinates is the way they represent points in a three-dimensional space. Spherical coordinates use a radius (ρ), an angle from the polar axis (φ), and an angle from the x-axis (θ) to locate a point, while cartesian coordinates use three perpendicular axes (x, y, z) to locate a point.

4. Can you express a surface in cartesian coordinates from spherical if the radius is not constant?

Yes, you can still express a surface in cartesian coordinates from spherical even if the radius is not constant. In this case, the equations to convert spherical coordinates to cartesian coordinates will include an additional variable for the changing radius (ρ).

5. What are some real-life applications of expressing a surface in cartesian coordinates from spherical?

Some real-life applications of expressing a surface in cartesian coordinates from spherical include mapping the surface of the Earth, analyzing the positions of celestial bodies in astronomy, and modeling complex shapes in computer graphics and 3D printing.