Expressing a set as the difference between two sets.

In summary, the set [a, b]U[c, d] is the difference of the sets [a, b] and [c, d], which can be expressed as the interval bounded by the inf and the sup of the two sets, minus the empty set.
rayne1
Let a, b, c, and d be real numbers with a < b < c < d. Express the set [a, b]U[c, d] as the difference of two sets.

I know that [a,b]U[c,d] is a union and what a difference of two sets is, but I don't quite understand this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that you're given the condition $a < b < c < d$. Thus, $[a, b]$ and $[c, d]$ are disjoint, i.e., $(b, c)$ is non-null. Consider the compactfied interval $[a, d] \supset [a, b] \cup [c, d]$. Can you "subtract" something from $[a, d]$ to produce $[a, b] \cup [c, d]$?

rayne said:
Let a, b, c, and d be real numbers with a < b < c < d. Express the set [a, b]U[c, d] as the difference of two sets.

I know that [a,b]U[c,d] is a union and what a difference of two sets is, but I don't quite understand this question.

Hi!

$$[a, b] \cup [c, d]=[a,d] \setminus (b,c)$$

since at the interval $[a, b] \cup [c, d]$ are included all the numbers from the interval $[a,d]$, except the ones that belong to the open interval $(b,c)$.

mathbalarka said:
Note that you're given the condition $a < b < c < d$. Thus, $[a, b]$ and $[c, d]$ are disjoint, i.e., $(b, c)$ is non-null. Consider the compactfied interval $[a, d] \supset [a, b] \cup [c, d]$. Can you "subtract" something from $[a, d]$ to produce $[a, b] \cup [c, d]$?

So like what evinda said, (b,c)?

Yes, well, evinda revealed it. It can be written as $[a, d] - (b, c)$.

In general, a union of bounded intervals can be expressed as the interval bounded by the inf and the sup of all the intervals, minus the "holes".

I like to think of $A - B$ as: $A$, except for the bite $B$ took out of $A$.

rayne said:
And, of course, $[a, b]\cup[c, d]=([a, b]\cup[c, d])\setminus\emptyset$. Many other variants are possible. If the problem asked to represent $[a, b]\cup[c, d]$ as the difference of two segments, then I believe there is only one solution.

Related to Expressing a set as the difference between two sets.

1. What does it mean to express a set as the difference between two sets?

Expressing a set as the difference between two sets means to find the elements that are in one set but not in the other set. This can also be thought of as finding the "leftover" elements after removing all the common elements between the two sets.

2. How do you express a set as the difference between two sets?

To express a set as the difference between two sets, you need to compare the elements in both sets and identify the elements that are unique to one set. These unique elements will make up the difference set. You can express this using set notation, where the difference set is represented by A - B, with A being the original set and B being the set to be subtracted.

3. Can you give an example of expressing a set as the difference between two sets?

Yes, for example, let's say we have two sets: A = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and B = {3, 4, 5, 6, 7}. The difference set would be A - B, which would result in {1, 2} since these are the elements in set A that are not in set B.

4. What is the purpose of expressing a set as the difference between two sets?

The purpose of expressing a set as the difference between two sets is to compare and analyze the elements in each set. It allows us to see the unique elements in each set and understand their relationship to each other. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as set theory, statistics, and data analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to expressing a set as the difference between two sets?

Yes, there are some limitations. For example, the difference set will only include elements from the original set, so if there are elements in the other set that are not in the original set, they will not be included in the difference set. Additionally, the order of elements in a set does not matter, so the difference set may vary depending on the order in which the elements are listed in the sets.